Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Emissions *Edited*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SF87K5, Oct 27, 2002.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Thank you everyone for the info about CO emissions for the Fort Carson area.

Know I need to know if the '87 blazer with auto tranny if it had the AIR injectors or not? Also if it did where can I get those parts.

2. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Re: Colorado Emissions

Just passed mine last week!! Only problem your going to have is headers. You gotta have the original A.I.R. injection system hooked up to them. It will be tested as the year of the truck. They don't care about EGR, or evap. canister. You'll have to go see the state emission tech for a visual, free. And then get the sniffer test. What state are you a resident of? If its a non emission state, I would just keep it plated there. Since your military, you can get away with it legally. You won't have to worry bout CO emissions then! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Theres a few guys on the board from the Springs. When you movin here?

Later, Sam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you're in the service keep it registered at your "home of record". No need to keep changing it at every transfer. In Kali if you're in the service and stationed out of the state, your drivers licence is good till you return, it doesn't expire till you return.

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I agree. However, it was my understanding (when I was in USAF) that of your drivers license, vehicle registration, and insurance; two of them had to be from the same state. One main reason for keeping out of state plates when coming to Colorado Springs is the insurance. It's freakin high here!!!! Mine almost tripled when I moved back to Colorado Springs from Cheyenne. Not to mention it initially went up over 50% when I first moved to Colorado Springs from upstate NY. IMHO, keep out of state insurance on it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

The problem is my home of record is California and I got the truck here in North Carolina.
    So a long as I have the A.I.R. hooked up I will pass then right?

6. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I am not sure if I will get Fort Carson. I am still in SF school so its up to the Army. So I will need to get headers that have the A.I.R., on it and it should pass right?

7. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I have been in the military for 11 years and know all about the drivers license. I just got my other truck on friday and I will be done rebuilding it in about 8-12 monthes. I got the truck in North Carolina and I am a Cali resident and they have very hard emissions laws. Plus it not like I can just drive to Cali and get it done. North Carolina has no emissions but you need to have a vehicle inspection every year to get new tags.

8. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Yep its gotta have the Air pump connected in the original location. Cats. and thats pretty much it. Like I said it will be tested as an 87. But there not as picky as I thought they would be. I just finished up a diesel to 400 gas swap in my 82. Passed visual no problem. Took a couple tests on the sniffer though. I'm running the air pump and original manifolds, dual cats, no EGR, no evap. canister. I guess you could just swap in your headers after you get it tested. We get tested here every two years. Heres the phone number to the state emissions tech guy: 719-633-2333 He is pretty helpful. Gave me a few tips on setting up my carb. and put the truck on the sniffer machine just to see what it was blowing. They dont usually do that.

Sam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Cool thank for the help and the number. I will let you know what he said.

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Another way would be contact Kali DMV and see about getting Kali tags for the truck. I think you could get them by mail being in the military and stationed out of state but Kali being your home of record. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

No you can do that cuz you need to get the vehicle smoged in the state of CALI. Just like being military I can keep my Tenn. plates on my wifes car. All I have to do is go on-line and pay for the reg. I still have to reg and transfer the title into my name. I can only do all that in the state I am living in.
    Plus Like I said if I did not have to get a vehicle inspection every year I would keep my North Carolina plates.

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Did the truck originally have AIR injection? Was it originally a manual or auto trans?

Most TBI trucks I've seen don't have AIR injection. In '87, the manual Blazers did, the Autos didn't. My motor/harness/etc is from an '87 manual truck, since mine has an auto, I'm not required to run the AIR injection. I would make sure you're required to before going to the hassle.

Pete

13. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I am not to sure, the engine is out of a 79 pick up 4x4 automatic trany. Can you let me now if it has AIR injection?
    Thank you for your help.

14. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Doesn't matter year of motor in Colorado. It must have the emission stuff that an 87 (year of your truck) comes with. Mine is a 79 block and it was tested as an 82.

15. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

seslick
    thanks. Now I just need to know if the 87 blazer auto had air injectors or not thats the new question.