Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Emissions for a '72 Blazer

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gibsoncd, Aug 27, 2002.

1. gibsoncd

gibsoncd Newbie

Colorado Emissions for a \'72 Blazer

I have a 72 Blazer that I bought in Fl about a year ago. Just moved to Colorado, and the blazer is still in Pennsylvania (I know .. I have to bring it out here!!!!) But I am concerned that it will not pass emissions ..

I have a ZZ3 motor with a 750cfm edelbrock carb .. exhaust is basically headers into two things we call "mufflers" and out two pipes. I have a 600cfm edelbrock that I can put on (probably will for the drive out to CO to get a little better gas millage)

My question is what are the chances I will pass emissions and if I dont what will I need to do to make it pass? I really want the truck out here, but just worried about getting it registered.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Cory

2. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Re: Colorado Emissions for a \'72 Blazer

I may be wrong but I thought all '72 and down vehicles were emissions exempt in all states. Call the DMV to verify.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

My 72 passed with no problem in Colo. Spgs.

What part of Colo. are you moving to? In Eastern Colo. there are no emmission laws. If you have problems passing let me know and I will hook you up.

John

4. MikeH

MikeH Registered Member

Your '72 will have to pass emissions. I live in Monument (between Denver and Colorado Springs) and there is a place in town that does emissions run by guy from California who can make just about anything pass. You may have to slip him an extra $10-15. A lot of times you'll find that a properly built and tuned Hi-po motor passes with flying colors! Mine did.

Do what I did for my '71 and get a 'collectors plate", this is for cars 25 years and older. Only register and emissions test once every 5 years! The cost is comparable to a regular plate.

5. daveo

daveo Registered Member

As was stated above, it all depends on where in CO. There is NOT a state emissions requirement, each county has its own requirements (if any). Generally, eastern CO and western slope have no requirements, front range has requirements that vary by county. In general, the NOx and CO limits on a 70's vintage vehicle are pretty high. I had to lean my carb a bit (Holley 4150 on a 350) to pass in northern CO (Larimer County), but was able to pass. Go w/the collector plates - good for 5 years. Get that truck out here and good luck!

6. gibsoncd

gibsoncd Newbie

Thanks .. I guess there is nothing really to do except bring it out and see if it passes .. Was just wondering if there was anything I should do before I get it here. I just moved to Boulder and I know it has to pass emissions here.

Cant wait to see what the baby Really can do ...

Cory

Blazer Picts .. with softtop

7. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

If your in Boulder, I think your in the Denver Metro Air Emissions area and have to meet a stricter requirement. I just bought my '02 Suburban a few months ago from a dealer in Co. Springs. They did not have the right emissions test when I bought it and I had to take it to a Denver Metro test station before the Douglas Co. DMV would proceed. Just a word of caution (the guy in Monument won't be able to get you by).

8. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

Are you guys sure that cars older than 25 years are not exempt? Even tough California offers Smog exemption to olders cars.

I just checked out CO Emissions
    which indicates that collector cars are exempt!?! If you go ver to the vehicle registration info, collector car tags are good for 5 years.