Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Emissions Laws?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Nov 9, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Thanks to everyone that answered my post about Colorado's lift laws.

I'm planning on moving to Colorado in a month or two. Probably Boulder/Longmont area +/- 20 miles. What are the emissions laws there?

I don't have any where I live in Ohio, and I have a '79 Blazer that I've put a 454 in. The cat was removed and I run dual pipes.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I already read through that, I was hoping for a more "english" explanation. Here in Ohio, if you live in one of the thirteen counties that requires emissions testing, if you don't have a cat you fail automatically. And vehicles over 25 years are exempt. I didn't really see anything like this, all it said was that I would have to do a two-stage idle test. What I want to know is more realistically, with my setup will I pass? Or will it be close? Or am I just going to fail miserably? I'm hoping the experience of CK5 members will be able to help me answer these questions.

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Anyone?

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Colorado is a little different as far as emissions are concerned. Only the front range counties (think Colorado springs to Longmont, if not Ft. Collins) have required emissions testing. If you are running a regular plate you have to get tested. New cars get tested every other year but the older ones are every year. Plus they have these new "mobile" test trucks that sit on the sides of a busy road or on ramp and somehow can test the output as you drive by.

To avoid the BS, you can get a classic plate (must be 25 yrs old), but to get the plate you have to still get it tested once. The plate is good for 5yrs though. It must pass the standards set for the year of production. They will do a quick visual too. Depending on where you go they may look at everything or just look under the hood. The last time I took one in (my dad's 78 Malibu) was in Colorado springs and all the guy did was open the hood and look for the PCV, EGR and air pump. Never did crawl underneath to look at the cat. (the kid did give an offer to buy the car though!)

Keep in mind the older vehicles can just go to a local auto shop for the testing, like a Lube shop or other independent. Not having to put up with the testing bs down here I'm not sure if it has changed, but the newer cars used to have to be tested at a state run shop and rolled on the dyno. That might have been replaced by the moble trucks.

So even with the classic plate you will have to be tested. Which means you might need a cat back on there.