Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

colorado emissions question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bettabruce, Feb 7, 2005.

1. bettabruce

bettabruce Registered Member

i'm new to CK5 and not real familiar with posting in forums. i own a

75 K5 and live in jackson, ms. i want to fix up my truck, but i know

little about the game. i plan to move to colorado in about a year

and was told that my K5 won't pass emissions there. any info would be

greatly appreciated. i'm thinking of the colorado springs area.

thanks much.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Colorado has one standardized test center, Envirotest. You'll need to bring in your K5 to one of the centers near you. They will do a visual inspection for exhaust/emission components, check your gas cap(s) for vacuum seal and run your vehicle on a dyno with probes in th ex-pipe. There is an idle test and then a run-up to highway speed test. They'll test it twice for each.

If you fail either test you will have to address it before you can get your license plates. However they will apply the cost of the first test to a re-test within a certain period of time. In CO you have to have a valid emission test and proof of insurance to get your plates.

Also 82 and older vehicles get tested once a year at 15.00 a pop. Newer vehicles are 25.00 every 2 years.

I think that covers it, if I missed something somebody else jump in.

3. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Don't forget that he has an '81 or older vehicle which means that he has to go to an '81 or older test facility. They're normally a bit more relaxed about the rules than envirotest, but same basic things apply.

Atleast that's how it works in Denver. I'm not sure in Colorado Springs since I haven't gotten a test here yet. Guess I'll have to find out soon, though.

Also, since you would be able to get special collectors plates (25+ yr old vehicle) there are certain emmissions rules that help you out if you get the plates. Like testing every 5 years instead of every year. And some other stuff I don't know about, too.

4. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Emmissions

Here in the Springs there are a bunch of test sites. I use the Jiffy lube down the street from me. They don't have a dyno just a sniffer. They run my Sub thru the rpms and do a visual. Its a 91 so it gets tested every other year.
    Now the diesel is another issue there is only one palce to get emmissioned. They have a dyno and visual inspections, 40 bucks once a year. As long as you are running well I imagine you will pass. I had a 76 Ford F-150 that had headers and I passed every year in Denver and Colorado Springs.

5. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Also, it varies from county to county. Some counties have NO emmisions requirements. Those are the counties that are fairly low populated, though.

6. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not to hijack, but where in Jackson are you. I live out near the reservoir on the Rankin side. Oddly enough just around the corner from another CK5'er. Where do you go to wheel?:D

7. bettabruce

bettabruce Registered Member

North Jtown

I live in North Jackson, send me an email at brucemiller76@gmail.com.

I don't actually do any offroading at the moment, the K5 I bought

doesn't have working 4 wheel action. I'd be interested in what shops

you recommend, as well as any other enlightenment that you could

probably share.

THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED! I was told by a mechanic friend

that my truck wouldn't pass emissions, but now I have some hope.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just what I was gonna say, register it somewhere other than the front range. No emissions to worry about anywhere over here on the west slope as far as I know.

9. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

One way around emissions testing is if you own more than two acres of land, and have some sort of livestock(cows, chickens, horses). Then you can license the vehicle as a farm truck and are not required to pass any tests at all! Been working for my 83 k30 for many many years now. They say that there are limits to how often it can be driven to and from the city that issued the plates but I have never seen anyone pulled over for it, besides I guess you could always say you are making a feed run.

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Few comments here.

For starters, as an 80 or older unti, your will still have to pass emmissions. Once you pass, you can register the vehicle for a five years period. If you choose not to do that, you will need an E test every year.

When they do the test, they will check to see what type of emmisions stuff you rig came with originally. It will need to have that stuff. That will most likely just be the gas cap & maybe cat converters.

Just make sure you have a good tune up and hot cat converters before testing. That will make a diff as they work much beter once hot.

I just got a 79 K10 to pass with the 400 in it.

Good luck & let us here in Co Springs know if you need any help prior to/and once you arrive:thumb:

11. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You don't have to have it tested at an '81 or older place but you may. Also, if you want to get collector's plates (vehicle must be 25+) you have to pass emmissions once, pay 5 years registration ($100 including new collector's plates), and you do not have to pass emmissions ever again unless you sell the vehicle (at the end of 5 years you pay another $100 for registration for the next 5).