Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Guys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I want to see some pics of the trail here in CO. I saw the writeup on Powerhouse, and I have witnessed Spring Creek's begin, but want to see the others. I have heard about Independence, Carnage, and a few others. I was hoping I could get some pics to see. It might also help me setup for some decent wheeling this summer. See what I am up against and what needs to get done before I run with the big boys here in CO. Thanks

Harley

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

3. Hossbaby50

What is the bare minimum's I need to get threw these trails without totally thrashing my whole truck? I kinda like my body panels somewhat straight, so I assume armor, but how much height do I need?

This is the setup sofar:

14bff 4.56's welded, 10 bolt 4.56 lockrite, 35" BFG MT's, 700R4/208 with Tim's custom crossmember, 3" lift.

Tim is currently building me a rockrod, but beyond that steering is stock.

I am planning another 1-2" lift ASAP, and hopefully some sliders and a rear bumper kit from Tim too. I need diff reenforcment and will get that from Tim ASAP too. I am working on getting a winch (12K Warn). Is a winch necessary? I assume it is. Thanks

Harley

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Indy is a big tire trail, Ken was with us, he had 36" tires and the trail looked like it swallowed his K5 up, good wrap around bumpers are nice also. Lockers front and rear of course, cross over steering is also nice with hydro assist, it can be done with out all of it but much more damageing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

what is the name of the trail that goes to Grizzley?

John

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I thought it was Grizzley run. Anyway, not that hard except for the first water crossing. Not deep, just that big rock to go over. Anyway, I had my burb w/ 36's make it to the top. I plan on going back there several time this summer just to fish. AWESOME fishing there!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Hossbaby50

ttt

I have been searching the net and have found some reports on:
    Carnage
    Iron Chest
    Slaughterhouse
    Holy Cross
    Indy
    Powerhouse
    Spring Creek
    Blanca Peak
    and others that aren't rated as high.

Who and when are you guys going to hit some of these trails? Can any of these be done with 35's & lockers without total destruction of the truck? I am pretty sure Spring Creek and Slaughterhouse can (seen pictures of heeps on 31-33's do it)

Anybody have any sits for good info on these or other trails? I see mostly Heeps, FJ's, etc doing them. Which are anti fullsize? Thanks

Harley

8. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I hear 21 road is pretty nasty also.

You could probley do Carnage , they have bypasses on about everything.

Sring creek you should have at least 33's and some good driving skills. ( just watch for that big boulder in the middle of the trail /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif )

Hacket rock & the longwater trails where good untill the fire.

Holy cross is a pertty easy trail except for the main rock part but a guy in my group did it with 31's & open diffs.

St. Vrain trails are pretty cool, not too many big rocks but a LOT of deep puddles and river crossings.

Thats all I can think of rite now that are doable without at least 38's & lockers and that at least present somewhat of a challenge. I have found a few offshoots of Spring creek that are fugly but wasent built enough at the time to explore but i will this summer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Oh ya and Slaughterhouse is about a sunday drive in the woods /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif it has one good mudpit and one kinda steep hill and thats about it.

Also Im trying to throw something together for memorial day weekend My "Truggie" should be done by then /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif ,,any suggestions?

9. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Oh ya, and I have pic's of just about every one of these trails you listed so if you want to see em let me know...

10. KAS

KAS 1/2 ton status

Harley-
    You should be able to do Blanca Peak for the most part. Like with the other trails, there may be one or two spots where help is needed, but overall very do-able...especially if you add the other 1-2 inches on your truck. A very bumpy trail though!

11. Hossbaby50

I'd love to see any pics you can post or email me. I think I am going to have to run Spring Creek again just for a pride thing sometime this summer. When we went to get you I got stuck on that rock on the 14bff houseing. If my fuel pump wasn't fubar I probably could have gotten up. But the 32's (really measure about 30.5") didn't help me either. I only have about 8" under the rear diff with those on. The 35's I have measure 34-35" though so those will help. I am going to do everything possible to get some more lift on ASAP too. Worse comes to worse I am going to have to run a 2" block out back, and move the zero rate to the front. This will net 1" front lift & 1" or more rear with the top off.

KAS: alot of the trail I saw on the net looked doable. Most were done by Heeps with 33's and lockers. Blanca Peak looked pretty nasty, but possibly manageable. I know on alot of these I will have to expect body damage. As soon as I get a job you guys at 4x4 Iron will be getting alot more of my business. I need sliders and such very badly. I know the rockers won't survive a season of wheeling with most of the CO guys. Keep me informed when you guys are going on runs. I would like to run if the trail permits, and if not possibley bum a ride from someone.

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just remeber that jeeps are alot smaller than a k5, and 33s are big on a jeep, especially with those little axles. They have alot of ground clerance and are only half a wide it seems.

Dan

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

if ya want them I have a set of 2 inch steel blocks and some newer u-bolts I will sell ya for cheap, real cheap, tell me what ya can afford an its yours! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif please pm me /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif