Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Lift Law help. Will I be ok?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Nov 7, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I'm in Ohio right now, and plan on moving to Colorado in December/January.

As I understand it, Colorado's lift law states that your headlights can't be more then 54" high.

Is this measured from the top or bottom of the light?

Being as my lights are 7" in diameter, the bottom is at 49" and the top is at 56". Is this in violation?

The other side of the question is how anal are they in Colorado regarding this law? If I'm close am I going to be pulled over all the time with some state-patrolman out there with a measuring tape? Just trying to get a feeling for the atmosphere in CO. :laugh: Can't wait to get out there!

2. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've been driving my K5 on a 4" lift with 35's for a while now and never been harassed by any cops. State or local. But I have never even checked the height of my headlights either. I do live 2 hours south of Denver and they look at things differently than they do up there...Not to say you will get harassed, just more cops. I grew up in denver and visit all the time and I havent heard of anybody I know getting harassed for being lifted.

It's going to depend on where you live. Hunker down in boulder and there might be an issue (boulder's a wacky place compared to the rest of the state). You are going to notice that there are a LOT more lifted trucks out here in the west than back east. New and old. I would doubt that one would ever get pulled over just to check the headlight height. However, it don't rule out them checking it if you got pulled over for something stupid either.

Here is a link to a local Colorado 4x4 board that has the lift law statute attached. From what I understand it's just a little more than headlight hieght.

Colorado 4x4

I wouldn't worry about it all that much. As long as you don't drive like insane nutcase to invite the cops to pull you over, you should be fine.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The measurement will be taken from the center of the headlamp to the ground. sounds like your at the max limit.

As far as getting pulled over it will probably depend on the officer/deputy/state patrolman who finds it questionable. I've never seen someone ticketed for it.

You should post this question over on colorado4x4.org which is a dedicated Colorado board. If someone has been ticketed in this state you'd find them there.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/?

Oops, zoomad beat me to it.

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your help guys. Like you mentioned, there aren't all that many lifted trucks out here, period. I'm one of maybe 3 that drive around town with any serious height/tires. I have a 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift, running 40" Boggers. I originally grew up in the suburbs, near Cleveland, real yuppies live there. I get harrassed big time when I'm up there because everyone else drives Lexuses and BMWs. Yuck! ;)

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Lexus and beamer makes a good tire chock.

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Lived in Colorado my whole life and I have known anyone to get pulled over for the headlights being too high. I have a 6" lift and run 38's. I have 91 grille so my heads are taller than most.

7. 87k10

87k10 Registered Member

im on 36's and a 4 in lift and i had no problems when i was pulled over. never heard of anyone else getting hassled. where in co are you moving?

8. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I'm a geek (computer engineer). So I'll be moving up near the Boulder/Longmont area where geek jobs are plentiful. So long as it gets me closer to prime off-roading :D

9. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd steer a little closer to longmont and less of boulder. Can you tell I don't like that area? Hippies and other liberal wacko's. Plus Real estate/rent is a lot more in the Boulder area. Longmont will be cheaper, more rural.

Boulder is beautiful but for me not worth the bs. I'll only go up there to visit McGuckin's Hardware store. They say if they don't have it, you don't need it. The place is huge, but run like a local hardware store from way back when.

Good luck on the move and the new job. Might have some snow by the time you get here!!

10. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I don't plan to live in Boulder, only maybe work there. I don't like hippies any more then you do. I go by the saying "Everytime I eat a steak, another hippie's hacky-sack goes in the sewer."

I'm sure hoping there is snow by then. :wink1: My truck will be ready!

And I look forward to going to any hardware store with that kind of description. Thanks for the info.

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Not for long, this town is growing like crazy. One Superwalmart and another in the works. Tons of growth to the South & East. Rural is about the last word I'd use to describe it. Definitely cheaper to live up here though.

Boulder isn't a bad place at all, just more expensive.

12. 87k10

87k10 Registered Member

im not a fan of boulder, but i dont think any native is. on the plus side they have carnage canyon real close.