Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado members, I'm comin your way

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by imiceman44, Aug 13, 2004.

1. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Colorado members, I\'m comin your way

Hey Guys
    Me and my girlfriend are taking a trip to Colorado, starting in Denver (flying in to save time).
    We are into the outdoors, anything from White water rafting, to hiking/backpacking in the wilderness, to scrambling on rocks, camping, ...
    We will be starting in Denver and roaming withing a 2-4hours radius from Denver, or making a loop with stops no more than 4 hours appart.
    We will be there for 9 days landing saturday morning Aug 28th and leaving Sunday night Sep 5th.
    Let us know who would be available to meet up, talk maybe even show us some nice places, and even inviting us to some wheeling (unfortunately my rig is down for the rest of the year so I will be riding).
    Throw in some suggestions, we want to have fun for 9 days, no plans yet except the Royal gorge rafting,...
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Colorado members, I\'m comin your way

Royal Gorge, cool place.

Look at the drive to the peak of Mt Evans. It is the highest paved road in the country or the world, can't remember which. It's only an hour or so from Denver off I-70 near Idaho Springs.

There's a cool steam train ride in Georgetown, again along I-70 west of Denver.

Couple of things I could think of off the top of my head.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I'm a little farther away (Grand Junction, 4 hrs.), but if you come to the Western Slope let me know. If you are going to Royal Gorge rafting, you may want to look at the Buena Vista area, some good rafting and 4-wheeling (I think they even rent heeps) and some good hot springs there. Best springs in the state are Hot Sulphur Springs, and that would coincide nicely with a trip to Grand Lake and/or Rocky Mtn. Ntl. Park., some great hikes up ther but I would not camp there (tourist hell and too many rules). If you have any questions about any particular places/areas drop me a PM, just take your time and plan it out so that you can do multiple things on each trip, that way you don't spend the whole time in a car between places.

Good luck and have fun!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Colorado Springs will be having their annual hot air ballon festival the last weekend that you're gonna be around. They'll be launching at around 7 AM on the 4th, 5th and 6th. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. mrk5

[ QUOTE ]
    Colorado Springs will be having their annual hot air ballon festival the last weekend that you're gonna be around. They'll be launching at around 7 AM on the 4th, 5th and 6th. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, balloon festival is really neat. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I will definitely make it there.
    Me and the G/F were saying we wanted to do that someday.
    Can we ride them or just watch?

I would do a loop and do more than a few hours away as long as i can get enough interesting places to see in that trip.
    I will wait for more responses for a week and then start planning the trip.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. HarryH3

It's just a "watch" thing, but they usually have 100+ balloons in attendance and you can walk right through the launching area as they are inflating, taking off, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You can find all the particulars at their website: http://www.balloonclassic.com/ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The only gotcha is the weather. If it's too windy, too cloudy, or the grass at the launch site is too wet (gets the fabric too wet and heavy) then the launch gets cancelled. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif One year they got skunked all 3 days, but that kind of weather is pretty rare for around here.

8. mrk5

Thought of a couple more.

Coors brewery is just outside of Denver.

While at the balloon festival or the Royal Gorge you could make it over to the Garden of the Gods.
    Also there's the Air Force Academy.
    I think there are public tours of NORAD at Cheyenne Mountain, at least there used to be.
    All of those are in the Colorado Springs area.

The wife just told me that the train in Georgetown I mentioned before is closed for the season.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm a little farther away (Grand Junction, 4 hrs.), but if you come to the Western Slope let me know. If you are going to Royal Gorge rafting, you may want to look at the Buena Vista area, some good rafting and 4-wheeling (I think they even rent heeps) and some good hot springs there. Best springs in the state are Hot Sulphur Springs, and that would coincide nicely with a trip to Grand Lake and/or Rocky Mtn. Ntl. Park., some great hikes up ther but I would not camp there (tourist hell and too many rules). If you have any questions about any particular places/areas drop me a PM, just take your time and plan it out so that you can do multiple things on each trip, that way you don't spend the whole time in a car between places.

Good luck and have fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I decided I will go your way, I will stop in Vail, on my way, I will make a loop going west, then down south and end up back up to colorado springs at the end to watch the hot air baloons and then back to denver.
    If you guys around that loop would tell me if you would be available for a meet, even if just an hour or so i could stop by and say hi, and maybe check out your rigs and BS for a bit, and if you are up to more let me know.
    I want this to be a nice trip and I am still trying to figure out where the best place would be to propose, that is my big thing for this trip.
    She already knows I am ready but thinks it will be in a few months, so it's going to be hard to be a surprize but I want it to be impressive /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. HarryH3

Let me know when you plan to be in Colorado Springs. I may have to work one or two of the mornings, as my firm is sponsoring a balloon and a booth at the Balloon Classic. But I should have most of the weekend free. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Drop me a PM if you want to meet up, there are a few of us out here.

If you're looking for a good proposal place, here are a few off the top of my head:

Durango to Silverton Railway
    Bridal Veil Falls in Telluride
    Take the gondola to the top in Vail or Aspen or Telluride.
    At Land's End on the Grand Mesa
    On the Royal Gorge bridge or gondola

Out of those, my pick would be at the top of Bridal Veil Falls (there's a road and tours)

Good Luck, maybe we'll see you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Bridal viel falls is a nice thing to see...and the last thing to see on your way down from the black bear pass trail...

DW

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Let me know when you plan to be in Colorado Springs. I may have to work one or two of the mornings, as my firm is sponsoring a balloon and a booth at the Balloon Classic. But I should have most of the weekend free. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey do you think you can get me a ride in one of the ballons then?
    That will blow her mind and it would be the perfect place to propose.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I will make a plan this week end and then put some tentative dates and times, I would appreciate if all of you would PM me your Phone numbers, so i can get in touch when I am there.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I would PM you back my cell number too.
    I was lookig at the car rentals and I saw a good deal on a week for a grand cherokee. Do you guys think there are any moderate trails worth getting this jeep or should I just take a sedan.
    I want it for the room and the flexibility of being able to go off road.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yep, plenty of passes you can run in a stock Cherokee, I would get it.