Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Power Outage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Western Slopers, what's the news on the power grid?

Tonights news broadcast mentioned a huge outage from Vail to Grand Junction due to the cold snap.

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

We had a 5 second shutdown. Just long enough to require me to reprogram EVERYTHING!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Power went out while I was asleep. They said they were having to do rolling blackouts because of a shortage of natural gas....did you lose power, jiminy?

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

with all that techie stuff you have - I bet that was fun. :haha:

No, no power outage here, just a lot of freaky cold weather related phenomena. This morning on the way to feed horses there was a rainbow colored "second sun" in the sky from the relection off the ice crystals. Barely got the C10 truck started even with a pan oil heater. Garage flourescents won't kick on. Oh and I punched a hole in the watering trough with the pick-axe trying to chop through the thick ice.:doah:

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Our power here in MI (just around goodrich really) was out for 2 days. Just came back on last night. Forturnatly, we have a 5000w generator and the outage was only a few sq. miles, so we could drive a few miles to get gas for the generator. Always happens when "low of -something expected". There was a nasty ice storm here on thursday,that was the cause. Went from 38 degrees and pouring rain to 32 & ice for 4 hours to temps in the singles.
    I keep telling myself I'm getting one of those whole house propane generators so it runs off my 1000gallon propane tank, but can';t bring myself to spend the $3-4k. 5000w sounds like a lot, but not enough. Had to keep juggling the breakers between furnace, well, etc. It's the startup of those huge motors that kills it, if the furnace and well tried to turn on at the same time.

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Are you using the twist lock 30 amp plugs, or the regular 20 amp outlets? My generator has both. I use the 20 for the lights and tv. The 30 amp gets used for the furnace and the fridge.

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Article in the Grand Junction paper today said that the power plants run on natural gas and the cold weather caused the well heads on the pipeline to freeze up so flow was cut off.

Brilliant use natural gas to run power plants. You would think you could use some of the power you are creating to run the plant...

Oh well I never lost power.

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

The local coal plant runs at aboot 48% efficiency, because aboot 52% of the power it creates goes to run pumps, fans, lights, scrubbers, and other plant systems. It's crazy.

9. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45957

GUARDIAN® 15,000/13,000 WATT LP/NATURAL GAS AUTOMATIC STANDBY GENERATOR

$2999.99

Yes, I know its harbor Freight, but the price is right.

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Never lost any power up here in Summit County.
    It would be a disaster if we did. Places would freeze up fast.
    I really don't want anymore work right now eithier.

11. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

The natural gas is running the generators in the plant. When it froze up, the generators couldn't run, therefore could not produce electricity.

The actual electrical system in the plant for lights, controls, etc. is powered by the generators in the plant.

If you can get a power plant to only run off the power it produces without any other outside source (natural gas, coal, nuclear, wind, hydro, etc.) then you better patent that, because you have just solved all of the world's power problems.:eek1:

12. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

The loads from all of the support equipment used in the generating plant, is the parasiticload. The efficiency of the prime mover, being weather its diesel,coal, natural gas, reciprocating, or turbine. Usually go by 1/3, into crankshaft power, exhaust heat, and cooling systems. The plant I work in runs 10,000hp duel fuel reciprocating units, at about 42% efficiency. More than about 40% efficiency, you need some type of a heat reclaim