Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado question

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by scrappy88, Jul 17, 2005.

1. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I'm probably moving to Colorado soon (Longmont area) and have a question. My Blazer is pretty much rust-free right now and I was wondering if living there will turn my truck into a rust bucket or not. Do they salt the roads there? I hate rust.. a little is ok, I can deal with that. But I see these pictures of new england trucks with missing floors and all that.. just wondering if Colorado is the same way.

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Most of the badly rusted vehicles in CO came from the east coast. Just ask B to C :D Don't hesitate to bring your K5. We need more full size rigs in Co to balance out the yuppies in H2's & all the heep guys/gals.

Don't forget to look us up when you get here.

Oh, and no salt is used in Co. However, they have started using magnesium chloride in the past fews years. Not quite as bad a salt, but can still be an issue.

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I ran my dodge in colorado springs for a few years and I think I may have washed it once or twice in that whole time. Never got a bit of rust from the stuff they use on the road. But he is right, no salt is used any more.

4. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Your truck should be fine. I've got a '90 Jimmy and '90 burb that, as far as I know, have lived there whole lives in the area and have almost no rust.

Longmont is an interesting weather place. We don't get hit very hard in the winter. They can get big snows to the north and south but for some reason the Longmont area is protected, which means even less sanding and salting required on the roads.

5. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Scrappy, I live in the middle of the forest and we sell perhaps 20,00 tons of sand salt mix that CDOT and County's put on the roads in our area, plus the mag cloride. Some rust is inevitable. What you are gaining in beauty will make up for little rust. Just count on washing your truck regularly, we all know there isn't a lot of hope for a dodge anyway :haha:. Sure are glad you are getting to move to America!

Fred 2mihi

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Interesting, very interesting. I was told CDOT didn't use salt anymore. Just sand & mag chloride.

I guess I've been told :bow:

Thanks for the ejukayshun :thinking:

7. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mark, that may well be the case down in the "burbs" but not so in our area of the mountain! Did I come across grumpy AGAIN? :laugh:.
    Fred

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Well, you got another burb up here (Even smaller community. I've only seen ONE lifted burb here in a month) I'm looking to do some feel out trail runs with it, but I need to lower the front bump stops... Anyone got a welder, some plate steel and are willing to trade some food and beer for the skills? :D