Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Snow

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How much have you Colorado people got so far? Here in Fort Collins we have 12"+ so far. Its fun to try and drive around the side streets. I haven't done it in my truck yet, but my buddies Exploder was fun. I am going to wait until tomorrow to take my truck out. Should have close to 2 feet of snow by then. It is going to be interesting in my truck to see how the dual lockers do in this stuff.

Plus I am still recovering from last nights St. Patty's day party. 2 kegs of green beer, a lepricon, and lots of people made for a long drunk evening. (but not for me because I am not 21 yet /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

12"! G** D***! I have to be in Fort Collins by August 21, classes start the 25th. Should be interesting to live somewhere it snows. A couple of weeks of ago we(Austin) had a Ice Storm and the whole city shut down for a day and a half... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. Hossbaby50

This is supposed to be the worst storm here 1997 from what I have been told. Last winter the worst storm was 6", but this one is supposed to get at least 18". The weather here is very wierd. It was 60* here all last week, and this week we get 12+" of snow. It is a new thing for me. This is the most snow I have ever seen at one time being from Arizona.

4. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

I'm at about 8500' here in Evergreen. It's three and a half feet deep and still coming down. Supposed to get another two + feet tomorrow. Unreal. Went out to get wood and couldn't find the woodpile. Finally used a pole to dig around in the snow avalanche style.

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    We have only had about 1-1/2 ft up here so far. No biggy
    I like when the news says that parts of Colorado will get 3 to 8 Ft.! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Seem like most people in Denver freek out when they get an inch. Can you imagine what they would do with 8 ft.? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I had to dive home from Denver last night and it took a long time thanks to the semi trucks all over the road.
    If anyone comes out here to visit, just remember that everyone from Denver thinks the slow lane is on the left I guess D/A's.
    Oh, and forget about merging, just jamb your way in and don't let anyone else in and you'll qualify for a Denver D.L. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I haven't been to Evergreen in years. Is the Little Bear still open? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm at just over 7,000 feet here and only got about 6 inches today. But it's starting to snow harder, so tomorrow may bring a different story! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Yea, Harry... the Little Bear still rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif This storm seems to be dumping in pockets. It's not just the snow depth.. but HEAVY wet stuff. I'm seeing lightning flashes tonight but haven't heard any snow thunder yet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. HarryH3

Last time I was at the Little Bear was around 1986. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif There was a local band playing there, called Timothy P and The Rural Route 3. Does the band still collect bras to hang from the rafters in exchange for a free t-shirt? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

We had a 20-30 minute break in the snow this afternoon, so I boogied outside to fire up the snowblower. We're getting that wet, heavy, New England style snow too, and I didn't want to let it build up so deep that the snow blower just chokes on it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The weatherman here said that there may be some thunder, but I haven't noticed any lightning here yet.

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Harley,

how is that locked front end treating you up here? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

10. Hossbaby50

I measured the snow that has built up on our patio table at 9pm. It was at 16" and its still snowing. Me and my roommates went out and shoveled the sidewalk and driveway this afternoon. I took my truck out of the driveway to shovel, and even with the buildups in the gutters I couldn't get it stuck in the 12" that was built up. The dual lockers makes it hard to turn, but it worked well in the deep stuff. My roommates were having problems in the Explorers getting in and out of the driveway (driveway slopes up, and the gutter filled with all the snow our of the road) because they have no traction devices so only 1 tire on each axle spins. Mine wasn't an issue which is nice to know. Tomorrow should be fun with the 16"+ that will be on the ground.

We also had fun in the snow. We shoveled the walks, and then we built a snowman. It is about 10 feet tall and is as tall as the street sign on our corner. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I live 100 milesEast of Denver and we have not gotten any snow, but the rain has been comming down for two days. Should be some nice muddin' out here today...

John

12. HarryH3

Still not much on the ground here either. At least in spots... The wind is blowing so much that many surfaces have been scoured clean (like my sidewalk!). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But other places have big drifts, so getting around is pretty tough according to the morning news folks. I haven't ventured out to see what it's really like yet.

13. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Well, it has been snowing non-stop here for the past two days, well over 2 feet right now and still coming down. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The snow is not too bad!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You can't believe the bleeding heart news people. If they had there way they would be the only ones out in the snow......They just want it all to their selves. I was out bright and early this morning in the K30 and had no issues. Even the drifts in the parking lots are not too bad if you don't stop in the middle. The lowered and wide tired vehicles on the other hand are having a hard time.
    Mike

15. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I was checking the snow report and Winter Park got 62 INCHES of snow in the last 48 hours...I know where I am going the weekend /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

16. Hossbaby50

Last night they said Fort Collins had 20". This morning I know that we have gotten much more. I have to say at least 30" here at my house. We shoveled the walks yesterday at 4pm. Today at 11AM the snow is now knee deep again on the walk. There has been a snow emergency issued by the city, and nobody is supposed to go out unless its an emergency. This is fun stuff. I have never delt with snow like this before, not even in Northern AZ where contrary to popular belief we do get snow.

17. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'm so glad to have my Blazer running on all four tires, I got my 60 in just in time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Yesterday wasn't to bad today is a little different, They said that Lakewood has gotten 35" as of this morning /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI went down to get some gas and 7/11 is closed /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif the place across the street was open only cause the guy couldn't get home last night I found him asleep /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I went out and played in the snow the side streets are the best. I only have about a 3in lift with 35's and I have snow packed in the underside to the floor boards, I had to stop and clean the grill out after some of the ridges I went though.
    Damn I should of taken pic's.

Eric

18. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

It is a good think that all you Non- Earth loving, Gas-guzzling, Terrorist Supporting, Red necks, Colorado K5ers have your K5s. What would those BMW SUV (Stupid Urban Vehicles) driving Doctors do if there is an emergency?

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

OK where are the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Hossbaby50

As for the emergencies, the plan is a plow truck will drive out to the persons home ahead of the emergency vehicle to get them there. that is the "plan"

The plan didn't work so well. This morning one of the plow trucks got stuck on my corner for about 25 minutes in a snow bank. He couldn't move forward or back. Both of his tandem axles were just spinning. He finally rocked it out after awhile. But not before 2 other city trucks showed up to help. You know it is bad when plow trucks get stuck.

As for pictures, they have been all over the weather channel. We have a few. One of our 10 foot tall snowman, and others of roommates jumping off the roof into snow drifts. They are all on normal film though and have to be developed.