Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Suspension Laws? Help my friend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by duece21, Mar 7, 2004.

1. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Long story short, my friend got pulled over in communist city and this lady cop gave him a ticket for his truck being 2 high. He only has about 6" of lift on 36's. Chev 1500. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Reason she gave for the ticket was that it was just illegal. He asked what was illegal about it and she just kept telling him it was just illegal. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So far the only info I could find was Lights not more than 54" nor less than 24". Tail lights not more than 72". /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif His /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif is not even close. No info on Colorado DMV for codes or laws. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Please help if anybody has any info! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

We have a height law here in arkansas, but it wouldn't apply to us "the height of the bottom of the rear most body panel of a load carrying vehicle, can be no less than 15 inches from the ground with full rated tire pressure"

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds to me like your friend did something that the cop didn't like. Since she couldn't write him a ticket for that she decided to write him up for the height instead. He gets hassled and has to spend a morning in court. He'll probably win the case, but be out the time. Some cops suck. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I was estimating the lift size since everything on the truck he pretty much did himself, /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif the headlights are half inch too high and I think tail is fine. He's going to deflate the tires when he goes to court to make it under the height restrictions. Thanks for the site grim that's where I found the restrictions for the 54". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's stupid that if colorado does have other restrictions the DMV should at least have to list them on their web site. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. We work graves here at Commerce City and the cops are always looking for something to do at night time. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    On the ticket it should say what statute was violated and the name. Something like 42-4-1409 Owner operated an uninsured vehicle. Have him look at the ticket and see which statute. If it does not start with 42 then it may be a city ordinance. Easy way to know is does he appear in municipal court or county court.

Colorado laws concerning lift height

42-4-233
    (1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under the laws of this state upon a public highway with either the rear or front suspension system altered or changed from the manufacturers original design except in accordance with the specifications permitting such alteration established by the department. Nothing containted in this section shall prevent the installation of manufactured heavy duty equipment to include shock absorbers and overload springs, nor shall anything contained in this section prevent a person from operating a motor vehicle on a public highway with normal wear of the suspension system if normal wear shall not affect the control of the vehicle.

(2) this section shall not apply to motor vehicles designed or modified primarily for off-highway racing purposes and such motor vehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways of this state.

The Department is the Department of Revenue. Where you get license plates. Call them up and see if you can get a copy of the specifications of how a suspension system can be altered. I would mention low riders.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    42-4-205 Headlamps on motor vehicles (Summarized)
    Not more than 54 inches or less than 24 inches measured from the center of lamp to the level ground without load.

42-4-206 Taillamps (summarized)
    not more than 72 inches or less than 20 inches.

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

thanks 70jimmy /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif, it's not that I don't like cops, its just I think there are better things to do like keeping the locals from breaking into our trucks, since we have had 2 vehicles stolen and 6 broken into just in the last year. Thats not counting those that had gas siphoned out of the tanks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif