Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado wheelin trips/places

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BLZN4FN, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

So I was thinking what trails should we run this year? Looks like more and more people are showing up in the Colorado forum. I'm looking forward to Feb
    run to China wall and would like to do some others with you all.

Here are a few trails I would like to do this year but I'm not limited to just these. So post up some ideas.

Holy Cross
    Spring creek
    Chinamans (BV)
    Carnage (BV) I want to do this one real bad but need a few others to try it with me.
    Moab for EJS
    Wheeler lake
    Kelly Flats

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Let's not forget China Wall. We run this one a lot more than the rest, but it is very easy to get to for about everybody except the western slope guys.

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Maybe some stuff down south? I wouldn't mind a trip to the dunes, maybe Farmington too? Other than that, your list pretty much covers what I was thinking.

4. firefighter184

Maybe we need a meet and greet in early March (or sooner) where we can all talk about when and where we go this summer. I know I'd love to have a set schedule of trips so I can plan my time off in advance.

5. OrangeCrushK10

That's a great idea. But now we're sounding like an actual *gasp* 4x4 club! Perhaps we will be needing a name too? :D

6. firefighter184

Bo has been talking alot about starting a club, and I have been egging him on. Perhaps a local chapter of full-sizers...

7. OrangeCrushK10

I've tossed that idea over a few times too. Only fullsize rigs, and possibly only fullsize rigs that are '90 and older. that way the old K5s, Ram Chargers, and even the full size Broncos have a group to go wheeling with.

8. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have heard that the run over Medano Pass to the Sand Dunes is a interesting trail. I was told it really needs to be a 2 day trip. I don't know if that is true or not. We ran around at the Sand Dunes a couple of years ago it was fun. Hopefully one of the west slope guys can come up with something other than 36 Road or whatever number. I wonder if there is something up on the Mesa. That way traveling could be split up. I would be interested in joining a club.

Fred2mihi aka Bluebeard

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I'll be able to make a few of those, some I may not be able to hack yet. I can always ride along with white knuckle Freddy, I'll just bring a blindfold for my health. :haha:

The meet and greet idea is a good one, a local fullsize club sounds good too.

10. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I talked with John for a few tonight about this. I would like to start a local 4wheel drive club. But I want this to be a little different than your normal club.

I belong to a local 4x4 club with dues and all the other BS that goes with it.
    Now this is just my take on this I feel like when you join a club they want a membership fee this goes to who knows what. What do I get out of my yearly fee a stupid t-shirt and a decal for the rig is it worth the 55.00 a year? I would have to say NO.

Now this is what I had in mine for a so called club.
    Just a handfull of local guys and there family getting together and hitting the trails and having a good time. I would like to have a neat name like Colorado Fullsize,Colorado Crawlers ect... It would be cool to have our own decals for the rigs and every year a t-shirt or even a carhart coat. I would also like to have a get together and plan some trails. For me if something is planed it makes it a lot easy'r to make a run VS spur of the moment run.
    If we could plan lets say 5-7 runs for the year and if anyone had a free weekend and wanted to get a group together the so be it.

I just dont want it to be like all the other clubs out there. Maybe open it to fullsize rigs only.

This is just a idea on what i would to see but please feel free to voice your opinion on this and if this is something that interest you let me know and we could set something up.

And if no interest hell lets just all go wheeling and a fun 2006

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

All of your ideas sound good to me, no complaints. :thumb: I guess the only thing to add is that I think we have a good group of guys to work with so being loose knit shouldn't be a problem.

12. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I wanted to run Twin Cone this year. That was the first trail I ever did with you CK5 freaks, specifically John & Nick. Well my rig has changed a whole lot since then, and I would like to see if I could conquer the rock pile to the top instead of cheating on the dirt.

So the trails I would like to do, in order of preference, would be:
    1. Twin Cone
    2. Old Chinaman's Gulch
    3. Iron Chest
    4. Spring Creek
    5. Eagle Rock

Eventhough I have a trailer now, I'm not sure I can talk Nicole into Holy Cross again.

I'm also going to be attending Blazer Bash.

Don't forget about us northern guys. Nick, James, Harley, and myself are going to be heavy-hitters in any Colorado group. So you need to be sure and pay us some homage by doing a northern trail.[​IMG]

About the club idea. I too have experience with a club, only it was a hot rod club. I was the secretary for 2 years before I had to resign because of night classes.

Sounds like it was a better deal than Bo's club. Our dues were only $2/month. Any profit we made was used for 2 things, an annual Father's Day Rod Run and a charity donation at Christmas. Course we also had to personally pay for any club merchandise. We did do a "Man of the Year" prize which earned the receipient a nice jacket, which I'm proud to say I earned one year. This club has been around for almost 30 years.

So my observation would be that we can do a club without needing dues. Any logo type stuff we wanted to do we could just pay for personally. I would be more than happy to do any type of decals dirt cheap. I could also do design work for t-shirts or any such thing. IIRC the t-shirts we would do for the club were only about $10ea. Course we bought a decent quantity. If we have an established logo, it only takes the initial cost for a company to get it on the computer and after that it is fairly inexpensive.

I was thinking that 2 "meetings" would be good. One at some date we decide to call the beginning of the season to determine what trails on what dates. Then another meeting at the end of the season to tell war stories and exchange pictures. Volunteers could host the get togethers.

That's my .02

13. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I have always wanted to combine 4 wheeling and camping. You know, like excursion driving. Just thought I'de throw it out there, just so y'all know I'de be down for a multi-day wheeling trip :whistle: :D

Also, Bo's idea of a club sounds good. :pimp:

And as far as trails, everything except Carnage sounds good to me, I'm up for pretty much anything, and I don't have any "I need to do this trail this year" feelings, I'm just glad to be out there no matter the trail. :saweet:

14. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Boy, you are crazier than I thought! If you are going to ride with me you had better make sure your wife will be well taken care of in the future!!;) I scare me and I haven't done much but FS roads around here in that "blue thing", you might want to reconsider such ideas! :eek1:
    Actually you would be more than welcome in my bitch seat any day!:haha:

On the club thing if the plans are to make this a state wide group then I feel that it would best to have a M&G somewhere in central CO. such as along the I-70 corridor at Eagle. I agree on the dues being low and then purchase individually anything to fly your club insignia. If everyone that is talking about the China Wall run in February shows up that will be 10 or 11 rigs, with just that bunch you would have the purchasing power of maybe 20-25 items. I don't know if that is enough for much of a discount on purchases but I think it would help. I like the "Colorado Crawlers" name. I'm just glad to have the opportunity to meet new people and have some clean family fun at the same time!:D

Bluebeard

15. firefighter184

Both Bo and I have talked about an excursion type trip, with some camping thrown in. I have no interest in doing Carnage Boulder either.

16. OrangeCrushK10

Sounds good, but Eagle is a bit far for some of us Southern Colorado residents. Maybe Leadville or BV instead. Don't forget we also have a guy down in Gunnison.

As far as the name, I think "Colorado Crawlers" has been taken by another group.

Personally I would like something with "full size" in the name, or some other word(s) to emphasize our size difference. Like the "Big Dawg" groups of California. You get the idea.

Perhaps after we have a few names we can post up a poll and vote.

17. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

We have several guys over on the Western Slope. Dave, Mike, Dwayne, et. If we could put the meeting place in the middle or break up meetings into groups, ie a western slope and eastern slope just to make it easier. I don't like splitting the group but for some it would be a hellacious drive into Denver.

18. OrangeCrushK10

yeah, east and west slope would work best, but it'd be nice to have a state wide get together.

19. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

How about Colorado Heavy Metal Crawlers.

Rock Smashers

20. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Some middle of the state runs would be great, up around Leadville and even north of Gunnison there are some good areas. I would definitely like some more regular M&G's over here, seems like we never get together.

There are some other good trails out here Fred, the Mesa has some fun, muddy but not too challenging trails, but I like those forest trails, and the Bangs Canyon area has some nice harder ones too.

I think during the summer I would love to do a "Middle Park" trip with West and East Slope guys, be a perfect opportunity to stay overnight, tear up some trucks and maybe catch some fish and a buzz.

BTW, to anyone who knows him, oatsk5 (Irvin) just called me and his wife had the baby early, Braden Micheal 8lbs, 3 oz. Everybody's healthy and happy.