Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

column shift issues? th350 to 700r4 swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crawlink5, Dec 25, 2003.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Will the column shift still work, although letters won't line up? What did you do about a shifter? I would like to keep the column shift if I can even if I can't put it in first gear right now.

78 blazer, 400 small block, np203

Thanks,
    Doug

2. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

It will work the way it is. The letters won't line up and the detent may be quirky. I plan on going with a floor shifter, and then it won't matter.

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem, you have a choice of being able to use first or park. I have adjusted mine a dozen times and still can't get both gears. As for the neddle lining up, I just feel for the shift, my needle is not even hoked up, but when it was it would not line up. I guess live with it, go to a later model column or floor shift.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

On my streetcar, I choose not to have the trans drop into low therefore the letters still lined up.
    If I was wheeling, I think I would want that option but the letters not lining up can cause a potential problem for you and your trans if you put it in the wrong place while driving.

Call a couple of the trans shops and see what they suggest.
    I know several people open up their steering colum and grind out the "low" detent which prvents the shifter from going down any farther. If you remove the detent, the shifter will drop the trans into low but the shiftlevel is going to be sitting down kinda low but may be worth it.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same issue (Park OR 1, NOT both). You have the linkage that goes from the tranny to the bracket on the frame, the rod that comes from the column, and the "set-screw" collar that adjusts the linkage. I drilled a new hole in the linkage that is connected to the tranny where the set screw collar bolts to. With the hole being located closer to the pivot point you get more travel with the same amount of input at the column. The only disadvantage is that the neutral safety switch does not work properly. I am in the process of swapping in a neutral safety switch from a vehicle originally equipped with a 700 to see if it will cure it.

6. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had the same issue (Park OR 1, NOT both). You have the linkage that goes from the tranny to the bracket on the frame, the rod that comes from the column, and the "set-screw" collar that adjusts the linkage. I drilled a new hole in the linkage that is connected to the tranny where the set screw collar bolts to. With the hole being located closer to the pivot point you get more travel with the same amount of input at the column. The only disadvantage is that the neutral safety switch does not work properly. I am in the process of swapping in a neutral safety switch from a vehicle originally equipped with a 700 to see if it will cure it.

[/ QUOTE ]

good idea, does it work well?

Just made the maiden voyage about 30 minutes ago (10:50 pm here).

7. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

The only way I can think of to keep the shifter on the column and still have all the gears and correct detents and needle would be swap the entire steering column with one out of a truck that had a 700 r4.