Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Column swap 85 to a 90 - I need some help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sickquad, Feb 29, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So I swapped columns, in my 85. Got a real nice column out of a 1990. Now the truck won't start. Can anyone tell me what wire comes out of the steering column that sends the signal to the starter. I checked them all I think, and can't find one sending 12 volts when the key is in start. I ran power to my starter and it turned over so it is definitely a problem in the column swap. All of the wire plugs were the same when I changed it over.

Has anyone done this and are they the same. At the neutral safety switch I don't have a plug in my truck. I have the plug for the reverse lights though. Did GM use this switch in 90 but not in 85? I tore apart my dash and cannot find this missing neutral safety plug that should be plugged in at the bottom of my new column. I need some help/advice

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks
    -Chris

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Who has a service manual for a 90 - Steering column starter wire question

pm'ed you

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Found it finally, It's the fat purple wire if anyone needs this in the future.

-Chris

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

just saw the post. I had same problem, found the same purple wire also last year. Oh well, some help i was /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So this thing is a nightmare. I really need some advice. Let's start from the beginning. Truck started fine before the swap. However I did have to do some modifications to get it that way. The power wire to the distributor is run off of a relay. The signal for the relay to open the circuit and let power to my distributor comes from a switched source on the fuse box.
    So I got a new column, try to start and no power to starter. Now here's the weird part, I test the relay with the ignition switch in run and it's sending power as it should, move the ignition switch to off and the relay turns off, as it should. So I jump the solenoid to start it, go to turn the ignition switch to off and it's still running. The switched power at the fuse box never turned off. So I pull my wire out of the fuse box that I am using as a signal to the relay and the truck stops. Pull the column down, and with the column detached and hanging down, I don't need to jump the solenoid. I can use the ignition switch to start the truck. But I move the ignition switch to off and the truck still runs, have to pull the wire from the fuse box again.

So my problem is now that I swapped columns, switched power from the fuse box is only switched if the truck is not running. Switched power stays live if the trucks is running and you move the ignition switch to off.
    When I say ignition switch I'm not even using the key. I am sliding the actual switch under the dash that attaches to the top of the column. It is a new ignition switch and when I bought it I had them check and the switch is the same for both the 85 and 90 columns.
    Seriously and ideas? I'll pay you if you give me a clue.

Thanks
    -Chris