Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Combined exo cage with rear roll bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Oct 18, 2003.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever done/seen/contemplated something like this? I was thinking of how to make the best combination of trail and DD rig. Since it is a DD you do want to keep body damage to a minimum. I was thinking of going exo on the front protecting the grill, fenders, hood, and roof. And tie that in with some exo along the quarters. The thing is this vehicle will be driven in winter up north so it would be best to still use the hard top. But while crawling it would be removed. So A rear interior cage could be fabbed to offer protection. I can see it in my mind but would it be strong enough given that the interior rear cage could nit be tied into the exo cage?

This is all hypothetical as I doubt I would ever de crawling to the extremes that would require that much protection. But I am curious.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you could do it, and tie it in too..just cut holes in the very back of the roof before the top..run the bars through..

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I plan on doing this. The front will have an Exo as the rear quarters will. I plan on drilling holes in the rear and running the tube to the roll cage inside. I was planning on sealing the holes with large rubber grommets or bushings.

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you could do it, and tie it in too..just cut holes in the very back of the roof before the top..run the bars through..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I am going to do. I just want the exo around the windshield frame though. Good luck on yours.

5. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

After going to blazer bash I'm thinking of something for my suburban as well. Plan on tube bumpers front and rear, with rock slider that have a tube nerf bar. Thinking of running an exo cage from the bumpers to the sliders and running tube from the frame out to the exo cage.

All this plus the full cage on the inside.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

wow, and I thought I was the only one with this kind of idea. Wouldn't cutting holes in the top promote leaks. I dunno about you but when I drive my seat is all the way back and if the top seal leaks it drips on my seat.

7. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

it seems like, with the top on, you would have some rigidity from the top and the two cages. With it off, you could fab up some stub type bolt up connections that connect the inner and outer cages. Thus, no leaking top, and plenty stiff with and without the top. Just my .02 nucks woth.
    Ernest

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

there was aguy on pirate that hada quick connect cage mount. two pieces of steel (i think that were solid and interlocked with a bolt through the middle. looked really really stong and very impressive machine work. i saw it here so search here or over there. maybe tonyp could make you something up.