Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

combining 2 builds into one..my new build thread...front axle is in!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twoslo4five0, Mar 10, 2007.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ok time for me to start my own build thread...tomm i will start the work to the burb to take it from a pavment queen to a down in the dirt trail rider.Here are the current stats of the truck.350 tbi,10 bolt 8lug 373,14bsf 373 limited slip,400/208,6 inch bds springs with a 5 inch block in the rear,35x16.5 bfg muds.The new build will consist of a 44 8lug with 513s and a truetrack(ready to go in),14bff 513s detroit and disc brakes(ready to go in),6 inch bds springs in front stay but a set of diy4x 6 inch shackles will be added,a ord shackle flip,ord zero rate and set of diy4x 7 inch shacles will go in the rear,the trans and transfer will stay for now,38x15x15 boggers on 15x14 wheels (have 2 now)...other mods will include a throdle body spacer,headers,exhaust and a winch adventually...i know the 44 and 38s are not a good combo but it will have to work 4 now till i build a dana 60 later...here are some pics like the truck sits now...tomm the front axle will be yanked and the 44 will go under the truck...more pics of the build tomm also....

P1010438.JPG

P1010446.JPG

P1010444.JPG

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. twoslo4five0

here is a current pic of the front of the truck...

Picture 080.jpg

Picture 081.jpg

3. twoslo4five0

alright here is the progress so far in the day...ive got the 10 bolt out and the 44 ready to go in...shackles are painted and installed,one leaf installed,grab a lil lunch and then im back to work...

Picture 095.jpg

Picture 096.jpg

Picture 097.jpg

Picture 098.jpg

Picture 099.jpg

4. twoslo4five0

any why did GM decide to put the upper shackle bolt so you couldnt get it out i either had to drop my exhaust or cut the bolt to get it out...i went for the cut the bolt route and on the drivers side i had to take off the shifter linkage to get it of...WTF...oh well few more pics for you guys...

Picture 100.jpg

Picture 101.jpg

Picture 102.jpg

5. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Haha,

Brings back memories of lifting my rig at Nick's. Lookin' good. For some reason GM really used cheap materials on the front rear spring hanger. My passenger side was bent and seized and it took a BFH and a sawzall to get it out. So I know you're pain. Lookin' good man! Hope that 44 holds up to the VA MUD. Keep up the good work and keep us informed of the changes! :waytogo:

Manny

6. twoslo4five0

i will i will post up more tonight...thanks for subscribing to the thread manny!!!

7. twoslo4five0

so she is sitting on her own.but still need exhaust so the driveshaft will go back in (the cross tub is hitting the driveshaft)and brake work....here is the problem i ran into today,my shyjacker braided lines the fitting that g=hooks to the caliper is to small for the caliper bolt on the 44..WTF???i might have to order a new set of lines...oh and i meesed up one of thoose bolts were can you get another one???anyway here are the pics i think it went up another inch so now i got 7 inches 38s are not to far away!!!!oh and look the blazer looks toothless now:haha:...

Picture 104.jpg

Picture 105.jpg

Picture 106.jpg

8. twoslo4five0

well i didnt get a chance to go work tonight but im gonna get back out there tomm and start working on pulling the rear axle out of the blazer...just a quick question will the 14bff u joint and the 14bsf u joint be the same??if not i will just buy a conversion joint...aslo does any one know if the 14bff shove my drivesaft in the slip yoke more????i know it will with a 10 bolt rear but what about a 14bsf???

9. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Good question,

I don't know. I replaced my rear 10 bolt with a 14 bolt FF. I jacked the truck up 2 more inches in lift and the shaft is about 4" short, so I'm thinking your still going to be either okay or short. Best way is to measure from yoke ear to yoke ear center. As far as the u-joint is concerned, I can't answer that one either. You can wait for someone else to post up or give a local driveshaft company a call and get prices from them to find out.

Manny

10. twoslo4five0

thanks manny youve been a big help lately!!!:waytogo: