Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Combining a 6in lift and 3/4 ton axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fourwheelinj1, Nov 12, 2002.

1. fourwheelinj1

fourwheelinj1 Registered Member

Generally i know that you have to lengthen your drive shafts when you put on a 6 inch lift, but i was wondering if i could get by without lengthing the rear shaft because of the added length of the pinion on a 14 bolt. If so i will also be swapping in a 3/4 ton front axle, so could i get by with just a driveshaft spacer in the front? What is involved in installing a spacer. The blazer is a weekend play vehicle that will be mudding and trail riding lightly, prob less than 5000 miles of driving a year. I would prefer to not have to get a cv driveshaft or longer ones, since i am on a tight budget. I want to put 35's on and winch up front, so i am afraid i will have to trim more than i want with only a 4 inch lift. So will a combination of shims and tranfer case lowering be able to get rid of most of vibs.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You could get by with the front spacer, but its still gonna be stretched out a little bit.

The 14FF pinion does not stick out further than a 10 or 12 bolt rear. They stick out the exact same distance. This has been discussed before and a few of us have measured some axles laying around, like I had a 10 bolt and a 14FF laying in the yard, and measured the pinion stickout. They were both in the same ballpark, so rule that out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Try looking for a longer driveshaft, like out of a SWB or LWB truck and have it shortened to fit your truck. This is still cheaper than having new shafts made. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you are only going to be doing light trails and mudding I would just go with a 4" lift. I had 4" and 35" SSR's on mine with just a minor trim. I had to cut the corners off the wheel well opening at the bottom. That was with a 14.50" wide tire on a 10" wide wheel.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

what kinda lift ya got there, cowboy?

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

With a 6" lift and 3/4ton axles, I still had to have a longer rear driveshaft made.
    The front worked, but don't expect a lot of axle droop - if you do, the slip will seperate.
    So basically for the front, it's OK but try to get it lenghtened when you can.
    If I had it to do again, I think I would have gone with a 4" lift instead of the 6".
    -- Mike

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a firm beliver in doing things right so I don't have to keep fixing things. So I broke down and had new shafts made with all new components. Each shaft ran me about $200.00 . So roughly $400.00 for both.