Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Combo Options For A Daily Driver (2 new Blazers!!)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I just acquired 2 new Blazers (haven't brought them home yet...) 1 is a 77 that has been rolled but it has a good 350/TH350/ not sure of tcase. The other is an 80 w/ a 350/TH350/NP205. My goal is to make the 80 into a reliable and fairly economically daily driver. For now I am planning on putting the 350 out of the 77 in it, leaving suspension stock, and running 31x10.5 A/T's on 15x8 Ralley's. Eventually it will probably get a 4" and 33's, but for now I am going cheap.
    Anyone have any brilliant suggestions for making a Blazer get good fuel mileage, ride good, and drive good?

2. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

hey poo,
    my izuzu is for sale. 18 mpg. and its purple. cant beat that

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Can't really say a K5 could be a economical vichile. But to get the most out of it, I'd look into MPEFI system.

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

look for a 700r/208 combo so you can have OD. get some good shocks for ride comfort.

also out of all the lifts i've had. a nice 2-2.5 inch lift rides the best- better than stock. looks good with some 35s and its not a pain to climb in and out of. just my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Im kinda stuck w/ the TH350/205 combo cause that is what I already have. I am just trying to build this one a little more conservative than my wheelin' rig...and on a CHEAP budget! Im thinking tall gears, A/T tires, Synthetic lube in all gear boxes, and maybe unhook the 4bbls (yeah right... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
    Anyone know if I can swap the front clip off my 73 parts truck onto that 80? I don't like the grill on the 80.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hahhaha Ohhh That's funny! a Pre FI/OD K5 getting decent MPG LOL.

Seriously....12mpg on a good day with those combos. I have two with the same set up and never have manged to get better than that and both are tuned and pass emmissions. One has a Crate with about 20K on it. About the best set up for MPG is 3.42 (with 31's 3.73-4.10 with 33's) or so gear, stock hight, Overdrive and FI and you can get about 18.

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I don't know if it can be done, but I am gonna shoot for 15. I am going to try to set up a system that I heard about to let it breath in H20 Vapor that helps cool the fuel/air mixture and is supposed to increase fuel mileage... don't know if it will work or not but it is worth a try.

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have a buddy in UT that SWEARs he gets another 2-3 mpg by running a fuel cooler...Every moring before work, he throws in a bag of ice in the cooler and drives his 65 miles to work...does the same on the way home...I think hes ful of it but you never know...Going TBI would help a bit...I may have my 350 TBI system (just the sensor, TB, computer and such, not the engine) up for sale here in the next month or so as I am going to a 454TBI and I am rebuilding the 350 to be a stupid fast motor for playing...I don't wanna drop buku bucks on the 350 FI system so I am going carb...Let me know...It would help out a bit...Also what gears are you running....is most of you drving around town (under 45mph) or on the highway(above 65)...if it is all around town, 3.73 would be great but un the high way like a 3.43 or higher (numerically lower) may help out with a 1:1 3rd in the th350...

Also, in the 205, running ATF will help reduce power loss, also, run a lighter gear oil in the diffs, like 75w-90 instad of like 90w-120, for example)Also, for highway use, keep it LOW...bigger tires and a lift greatly increase wind resistance...

While you are at it you can take off the outside mirrors /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif...also, if you stick w/ 31's, get like an all-season radial that is narrow...stay away from the 33 mudders if you want good mpg...

Chris

9. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member