Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coming out of 4-lo....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Aug 2, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I've been having this problem for quite a while but recently I can hardly put any torque on the system before it pops out of 4-lo. When you do manage to get some power through it and it pops out, it does not feel good....*loud bang* /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif My truck is an 81 K5 and it has a part time transfer case which I *think* is a 208. (the indicator says 2hi/4hi/N/4lo) Also, the case has never allowed me to put it in to 4hi. A mechanic I know says it sounds like an internal problem with the synchros but I'm wondering if I can just adjust the linkage? I think it may be the linkage because the indicator when in 2hi sits between 2hi and 4hi. Any thoughts on this? What else could it be?

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Anyone?

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sounds like the linkage is not adjusted right or the syncros are bad.

the linkage is adjustable, it has 2 jam nuts and block with a peg out one side between them. the nuts hold the block in place. just loosen one and unscrew it all the way out. put the shifter in 2hi and tighten them both till they are touching the block.

if it still does it, time for a rebuild.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like its not going all the way in 4 lo--I'd try to adjust the linkage,if you have a body lift it or had the case out of the truck it might be maladjusted.I'm not a tranfer case expert,but I am not sure they have synchro's--I thought they had shifting forks and gears--you might have chipped teeth on the gears,that would mak them want to jump out of engagement--bad fork can too.I'm still trying to figure out why my 208 wont come out of 4 hi,even after adjusting the linkage--its got me bamboozeled. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright thanks guys. I'll try adjusting the linkage. If I need a rebuild I don't know what I'll do cause I have to go to university in a month...... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Lets cross our fingers and hope its the linkage.... Anyone have any other thoughts?

6. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

There is one synchro on the tail shaft that engages the chain for the front drive shaft when ever you put it in 4 hi or 4 lo. There is a sliding sleeve on the main shaft that engages the plantery when you put it in 4 lo. From what it sounds like there may be an internal problem. One common problem is the shift fork wears through the nylon pads on the shift fork. The other problem is there is a needle bearing that goes between the case and the plantery that likes to go out and this will make it hard to get in gear because the planetery will be walking back and forth every time you shaft it. I have had this happen on several of my trucks when I have had tcase problems with the np 208 model. Try to adjust it first. Hope this helps you some.

bigred81

7. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> i have the 208 behind a 700r4 and 350tbi, mine had similar problems but it would kick out of 4hi only, never kicked outta 4lo. i adjusted the linkages a bit and now it stays put. funny, i hardly noticed i wasn't in 4wd intill i hit super soft sand, and even then i said the hell with it and powered out, i love these /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif </font>

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

These things are way too easy for someone who never did it to rebuild . Mine went smoothly when a friend and I disassembled it to get my input shaft and transfer it to another case . There really isn't anything to them inside . In my case it was stuck in 4 lo and the shift fork was bad . If adjusting linkage doesn't help ( didn't help me , still went bad ) pull it and open it , just need RTV to seal the halves back up /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

My truck has alway had this problem it is usually a combination of adjusting your linkage, and the rubber /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif on your shift fork is probably messed up just like mine. Anyways I adjusted the linkage and its better for now. Oh and I use a bungie cord to keep it from popping out of gear, I know what thats like and its not pretty. leave the cord a little loose though.

Jesse

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

One last thought--look at the bright side--at least 2wd and 4hi still work--you hardly ever really need low range that much,unless your climbing walls or boulders--I hardly ever use low range in my trucks,even when plowing,seems like its too much tourque and the wheels break loose wicked easy in 4lo!,course I dont have huge tires or anything,just 245/75/16's,if you have 38's or 44's then you might need 4lo a lot more.

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thats the problem tho; 4hi doesn't work!!! I don't have really anything for 4x4 and that bothers me!

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats the problem tho; 4hi doesn't work!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then its internal for sure . Even misadjusted shifter should find hi , if it finds low , seeing as how it HAS TO PASS HI to get to lo /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif