Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Comman Shake or not?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Jun 4, 2002.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Ok I know that this has been a topic for a LONG TIME now.

I'm experiencing a nasty shack on the left front tire. (i.e.. Drivers front tire)

What happens is while parked the tire shacks forward and backward. When in gear and under throttle not a major prob. but it does rattle. Then stopped back to some rattles. and so on.

I have talked to some friends and they suggested bearings, or steering pump. (I do notice a NOISY sound under the hood) So what I'm going to do is take the belt off and cruz around the block. So if any of you could give me more suggestions that would be helpful.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Jack it up and try pulling/pushing the top of the tire. You should get *no* movement besides normal sidewall flex from this. If you can hear/feel the rim moving, then it would be bearings loose/shot. Sounds like thats what you are saying already, but not quite sure if the tire rolls forward/backward a bit (normal with no e-brake applied) or if the wheel is moving independently of the axle, which is a problem of course.

3. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

The tire just appears to rattel. (as if the tire wall is old and week or to low on air psi 33 in now)

I'll try lifting the tire tonight. and takeing off the belt to the power steering pump. It sounds like its running harsh and it is the original power steering pump. So I'm thinking this might be the culprit. I konw that the bearing where replaced 2-3 yrs ago (20k ago)

Thanks for the help.