Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Comment on this statement

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, Nov 8, 2005.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

"I support the troops, but not the war."

Do you think this sort of distinction is valid? Why or why not?:usaflag:

PS GO VOTE.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's a cop out, plain and simple......................

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i disagree, I believe you can support the troops and at the same time think the reasons for the current war are stupid
    I don't think the war is stupid, but i do believe that point of view is valid.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Well, to be honest that cop out shows some signs of intelligence. You can't blame the military, we just do what we're told. If someone believes that we're doing something wrong, then their issue is with our superiors (Chiefs of Staff, Secrataries, and the Commander in Chief). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, I believe an intelligent opinion (no matter if I disagree with it) is better than an ill-informed bandwagon opinion.

Albeit in this case, it's my belief it falls into the latter category stated above. People only believe what they see and hear, and sadly, that happens to be liberal media. I've stopped watching TV a long time ago. If I want current events, I read AP and Reuters. To be honest with you, I believe the general public is about stupid. Think of "the mob" from the movie "Gladiator" if you can control the mob (the stupid public) you can do anything. This is what our media does.

If you think about it, the media has more of an influence on our lives than our government. They show you issues they think are important, and generally with a Liberal spin on them. They give you ideas, which many people then adopt as their own beliefs because they lack the capability of disbelief to form their own opinions.

Let me use an example:

Did you know that 47 countries have reestablished their embassies in Iraq?

Did you know that the Iraqi government currently employs 1.2 million Iraqi people?
    Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?

Did you know that Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20 Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers, all currently operating?
    Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2005 for the re-established Fulbright program?

Did you know that the Iraqi Navy is operational?! They have 5- 100-foot patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a naval infantry regiment.
    Did you know that Iraq's Air Force consists of three operational squadrons, which includes 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft (under Iraqi operational control) which operate day and night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 Bell Jet Rangers?
    Did you know that Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a Commando Battalion?

Did you know that the Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers?
    Did you know that there are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks?
    Did you know there are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq? They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical facilities.
    Did you know that 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations?

Did you know that 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October?
    Did you know that there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and phone use has gone up 158%?
    Did you know that Iraq has an independent media that consists of 75 radio stations, 180 newspapers and 10 television stations?
    Did you know that the Baghdad Stock Exchange opened in June of 2004?
    Did you know that 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a televised debate recently?
    OF COURSE WE DIDN'T KNOW!
    WHY DIDN'T WE KNOW? OUR MEDIA WOULDN'T TELL US!
    Instead of reflecting our love for our country, we get photos of flag burning incidents at Abu Ghraib and people throwing snowballs at the presidential motorcades.
    The lack of accentuating the positive in Iraq serves two purposes. It is intended to undermine the world's perception of the United States thus minimizing consequent support, and it is intended to discourage American citizens.

---- Above facts are verifiable on the Department of Defense web site.

Now, if you want to know my true opinion on everything, I can sum it up with one quote:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and hollering WOO HOO what a ride."

I am enlisted in the military, a pro-gun, pro-choice, anti-pc, anti-affirmative action, pro-caiptal punishment, kick ass and take names, send them back where they came from, get your head out of your ass, don't mess with my little sister american and am willing to say what I mean and mean what I say.

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

It's a way for the pacifists and military haters to make their fellings known and not get slapped by those who understand, support and respect the troops on the ground.

Tom

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I completely agree with this statment. lets look back to vietnam and the draft...most people did not want to go when drafted, but most did. So to those people who went, some against there will: should be blame them cause of the war? no, they are doing what their told to do. we need to support the troops, no matter the circumstances, they dont choose where, when and who they fight. If you dont agree with the war thats fine, thats your opinion, but that doesnt mean are troops are wrong. I personallyu dont agree with the war but have several friends in the military, do i hate them cause someone told them they have to fight? do i hold it against them?????

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I support the local LEO's, but not some of the laws that they enforce. As a matter of fact they don't support some of the laws that they have to enforce. What's the difference?

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I totally agree with that statement. I do not believe it is a cop out. I am not a military hater, I can show you 4 of my honorable discharges. We are doing a good thing for the Iraqi people, but I believe we were lied to at the beginning, in order to gain support for the war. I have been in numerous situations that did not have the overwhelming support of the "public". Not having the support of us folks back home just makes a sometimes miserable job even more unbearable.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Apples and oranges.........................................

Why?????????????????????

We are in that position to make those decisions. I very seriously doubt there's very many of us anyway that enforce a law that we don't agree with and the major stuff, we all agree with or they shouldn't be doing the job..........

Now, onto this thing and why it's a cop out. It's more of a insecurity complex suffered by the person making the statement. Just like the times I listen to some goofball liberal on the XM and they'll go on and on about they are against the war, but they have to reiterate time and time again that they are patriotic. I could care less, it's their right to express their opinion, no matter who agrees/disagrees with it; but because they are insecure in their beliefs, they have to throw the patriotic thing out.................

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

It has nothing to do with being patriotic or insecure. it has to do with not placing the blame on someone who isnt responsible. our soldiers are doin there job. a job that someone else tells them to do. They are there for us and you must support them even if you dont support the cause. Once we go to war you can hate it and dissagree all you want but the fact of the matter is where in it. we cant just say oh nevermind and walk away. which is prolly what makes things more complicated

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It's a prequalifier for an obtuse argument on a thing the person stating it probably doesn't understand.

As long as they aren't forcing people to war, I don't care. I live here, on the ground, this is where I work my miracles

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Truth there.... John Gibson makes some great points. When they say the war is stupid, straight out ask, "So we should put Saddam back in power, then? Since the war is what effectively removed him? We can do it, we have him in custody...he's going on trial soon. We can just let him go, you know...you agree with that?"

I like even more how Democrats who were saying Saddam was dangerous even before W was elected are NOW saying they were "Lied to" by W and that is why they supported the war at first. It's such a joke. It just shows back-tracking, and W's support polls show exactly how people almost NEVER take the time to do any research on this stuff. They just accept any dissenting statement made by the media as fact and leave it at that because "The news doesn't lie." I'm sad that we have so many idiots with voting registration cards.

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am "one of the troops" and i do not support the war. i support the cause, but the war has been going on FAR longer than needed.

belive me, i support myself and fellow troops.
    Grant

14. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Agreed. I believe everyone has a right to make an educated vote. Sure the 'exercise your right to vote' campaigns are good, but I think someone voting who has no idea what bills, referendums, and candidate platforms is more hurtful to the election process than a person who has taken the time to make an informed decision. Not to mention, I don't like stupid people. I see them every day, and it just irks me to see people just be... well, stupid.

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

To be honest with you, that's the same attitude I have. The cause is just, and I have a job to do. If I had to point something out and find something to blame, I would blame the Clinton administration for not finishing what Bush started.

You all just watch. The stupid public will elect a democrat to office, we'll pull out, and all hell will break loose. Then we'll have more than the mid-east to worry about.

16. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i didnt support the war since before it happen. we get attacked by the taliban (bin laden, btw have we caught him yet? :rolleyes: )and go after iraq? (i know after we invaded afgahnisatn) the reasons we went to war havent been justified, wmd's and the like. but im not saying good things cant come of it. I believe that we are better off with saddam out of power. I know we cant just leave iraq either, if you leave a country without a leader your going to have a fight for power and someone most likely alot worse than saddam is going to be in power, who hates america, blah blah blah.... then were worse off then when we started. Believe me, not everyone against the war is against it after we went, many people didnt want it to happen in the first place. At the time, our main reason for going to war with iraq was wmd's right????? well if iraq says no and the weapons inspectors say no, hmm maybe they dont have any. also isnt north korea alot worse. at this same time they are claiming nuclear capabilitys :eek1: but that just seemed to go unnoticed becuase saddam has wmd's :rolleyes: look i know im going to get flamed for being a left winged liberal, but take my opions as they are, my opinions :D :rolleyes:

17. 89GMCSuburban

Nah, man...this is what's going to happen. A democrat will be elected in 2008...another 3 years from now, people will still be saying we need to pull out immediately, even though by then we will be in the position that we are already starting to pull out. They're going to yank all the troops and "save america"....when they are doing it exactly in a time that W was gunning for. Simple fact, W has got to have Iraq self supportive by the next election......or the GOP is gonna lose.

18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what the reason, most anti-war folk are always going to argue that side.. they blindly follow this base mantra of "war is bad"... these are the folks that subliminally hate military.. my boss is one, Greatful Dead hippy type...

well, duuuuh! of course nobody wants it.. but there are bad people in this world. like LEO's, a strong military is a nescessaty...

everyone seems to forget the consensus among the world, dems too, prior that he had WMD's... i still wonder where those tons of DOCUMENTED Serin, VX, etc ended up.. i think most where surprised we didn't find anything.. heck, if the administration was dirty, evidence could have been easily planted i would think...

i do think that there was some underlying reason to the invasion... a centralized battle over terorism may have been an ulterior motive.. the thought of democracy in Iraq is a serious blow to the Jihad.. every Jihad mofo in the middle east has head to Iraq.. hopefully they've been welcomed by a 50 cal....

one thing i'd be curious about is insurgent fatality numbers... ours have been well documented obviously... heck, all battle numbers are pretty well documented from other conflicts... i recently heard that they are releasing insurgent fatality numbers recently, in the past they wheren't..

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

:confused: :confused: :confused:

English please.................................

What troop does support war, period? I was in during the first one and I didn't support.

Especially when it appears you don't know what you are talking about........

Ever hear of Al Quaeda? Different entity than the Taliban. Now that I'm feeling frisky, shall I FUBAR this thread with facts? Yes, I shall.

Taken straight from Wikipedia..................................

If you had several months and vast areas of land, along with some allies not that far away, I'd bet you would hide some evidence to your wrong doing.

As far as North Korea is concerned, lack of research on your part is scary. North Korea is sort of, kind of a paper tiger. You honestly think they can sustain anything militarily?

Now with that, apparently my point flew over a lot of heads. My comments are not political in nature; they are directed at the psychology of the people that are making them. The comment itself shows insecurity that the people making those comments have about their opinion. Apparently they feel that because they make one statement that someone might not agree with, they have to make another in which that one person refrain from questioning them on it.

Some of you yahoos need to slow down and breath a little bit before replying. Read the statement, then think about it for a few minutes. You may be able to comprehend the meaning, then you will be able to reply back on the right tangent.

Don't make me break out the dumbass white boy comments on you guys................. :D

20. 89GMCSuburban

Shows how much you know....

Did you not know that Iraq has an elected President and Prime Minister? Or maybe that they voted on a constitution not a few weeks ago? Or that they are voting for representatives in December?