Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Comments and suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevblazk5, May 11, 2002.

1. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need any comments and any suggestions regarding the upcoming built up of my ’86 Blazer. Any suggestions will be helpful and I am open to any ideas. This is what I want to do:

Body:
    I’ll replace the stock body mounts with a set from Daystar and the whole interior will be sandblasted. I’ll cut out any rusted areas and replace it with fresh sheet metal. I’ll trim the fenders to fit 39’s with 6” of lift and then I’ll spray the whole body in primer. As of now, I am planning to have the whole truck sprayed in Green lining in and out but that might change. I also have a 4” cowl hood that I might install and I’ll definitely install a full roll cage.

I have access to a portable sandblaster, few welders and a plasma cutter so this should make this part of the built up a little easier.

Motor and Drivetrain:
    383 stroker with too much power for a daily driver: 610 hp and 665 ft.-lbs. This motor came out of an ’86 Monte Carlo that a buddy of mine used to race at a local race track. He sold the car and I bought the motor. I’ll have the motor rebuilt since it’s been sitting in my garage for the last two years. I’ll bring the power down to about 500-550 hp with a different set of heads, pistons and a cam.

TH400 with a doubler. The trans will have a reverse manual valve body.

Shackle flip with revolver shackle in the rear. 6” of suspension lift with zero rate add a leaf in the rear that will also relocate the axle 1.5” back. I will most likely use BDS springs.

14 bolt rear and a Dana 60 front. I am not sure what gears I’ll run in these but 4.88’s are on the top of the list. Detroit locker in the rear and I haven’t decided on the front. Can’t forget crossover steering.

38’s Swamper for street driving and 39.5’s for off road on 15x10 steel wheels.
    ===============================================================

I am not installing a body lift because I had nothing but bad experience with them. If I have to I’ll modify the floors to fit the doubler. I’ll do everything myself except the Rhino lining and the motor rebuilt. I have a lot to learn when it comes to building a good 4x4 and I have been reading and printing a lot of posts that are helpful to me, but the bottom line is that this is will be one interesting and challenging project. All that time that I spend in the garage learning how to weld will sure come in handy right now.

So, I want to hear all your comments and all your suggestions before I start this built up. I have about 2-3 weeks before I start so things might still change but this is basically what I want to do.

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Congratulations on winning the lottery. It sounds like you'll have an awesome truck.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Get a Springer set up for the rear instead of the revolvers.
    Why 38's on the street and 39's for the trail?
    Might as well do hydro assist steering too.
    Reverse manual valve body: not really needed, just get a low gear set put in the trans.
    As far as your combo I think you are planning hitting some rocks so do the long shock conversion. Also you might seriously consider fuel injection.

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

LMFAO!!!!

good luck!
    brandy

5. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Lotery? I didn't win a lotery. I just got a promotion with a BIG raise!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I've also been saving my money for the last year.

I'm not familiar with Springer set up. Where could I get more info? In NJ 38's are legal on street driven trucks. A buddy of mine sold his Ramcharger and I got his 39's Boggers for free that I might use for trail.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

chevblazk5,

Sent you an e-mail....

ChevyCaGal and Wayne,

Thanks for the reference....

Marv

8. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

You definately wan't Springer Suspension, those things are amazing on the trail.