Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

comments on this trans cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by obijuan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

would yall buy this? i am considering this to be my next addition to my truck.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG4967&N=700+4294924500+4294888847+4294906626+400304+115&autoview=sku

pros/cons, better one for my rig? this is a good price range i would like to stay in.

its fixin to get hot down here in texas and i just want to keep my tranny happy. also is it possible to run the cooler lines in and out of the radiator, then to the cooler and back into the trans? so effectively using both coolers? also where is the best place to mount it? in front of the radiator beside? pics are always helpful! thanks for your help.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Spend the extra money and buy a stacked plate cooler, brother. Tube and fin coolers are nowhere near as tough.

3. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

X2, Derale makes a nice one with a fan attached to it

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run a tube/fin, but only because it was given to me.. get the biggest stack plate you can get..

5. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I am running the 28,000lb b&m super cooler. I like the stacked plate design for its durability.

On a side note, dont install the cooler with the plastic zip tie deals that they provide. You are supposed to stick them through the radiator and cap them off on the back. If you do this, they will eventially rub holes through the tubes in the radiator causing a leak. Spend the time to fab up something.
    -Harrison

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I run Dual B&M stacked plate coolers. One for the trans and one for the engine oil. They work great. As said above Fab up some brackets to hold them. It is easy all you need is some flat steel or alumnimun and drill a few holes to make the brackets. Those zip ties might be ok for a street car . But they will rub holes in radiators and AC coils when used offroad.

As for the line routing I perfer to run the Trans cooler ahead of and in line with the factory cooler. It might not be as much of an issue in warm climates. But where It gets cold The radiator cooler helps keep the fluid in the best operating temp. Running cold thick fluid is hard on the pump.