Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Committees and meetings are effective ways to protect people

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 7, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

A bus driver has been charged with rape in our district. When the district learned he was charged with a crime, they had meetings and committee's and met with the perpetrator for an interview. They consulted counsel and found they could not terminate him or reassign him for being charged with a crime. They determined he posed no threat and allowed him to continue working.

Then they received an anonymous call saying he was charged with rape and sexual abuse, and that a grand jury had indicted him.
    They looked into the matter further and decided to put him on administrative leave pending the outcome.

I'm glad we have a ****ing committee deciding it's ok for rapists to drive my kids to school. As if I needed more ammo on why public education is complete Bull****.

A school bus driver. I can't count how many times I was alone on a school bus with just the driver. And my kids are one of the last stops coming home.

I think the district personnell responsible for the delayed decision to put him on administrative leave should be charged with endangering the welfare of a child, pending outcome of the bus drivers case.

If this were McDonalds, a law office, an advertising agency, or something, I could understand the employer keeping their nose out of the employee's business.
    But this is a person responsible for kids and in control of them for periods of the day, like most of a school districts employees. I don't think it's draconian to say "You're charged with a crime, you go on administrative leave until the outcome of the charges." Not only that, but I beleive if you've been convicted of a felony, you can't be employed by a school.

They were in no legal violation placing him on leave. That should have been the first course of action, even (especially) if they didn't know the charges, the possibility existed that it was a sex-crime or a felony, and that he WAS guilty of a crime that would conflict with his employment.

And, he was arrested on school property.

:angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

edit: BTW, this driver was a district driver, not my kids school bus driver.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  2. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Just shows how crazy and liberal the Northeast is getting and how bad the cultural divide is getting too. If I were you I'd maybe start considering moving down here to get away from the leftist liberal culture. How much outrage besides yours has this generated? None else?

3. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

i wounder who would've lost their job for getting rid of the rapist??? he should have definately been fired no doubt!!! maybe even dragged behind his school bus a while, but i feel convinced the headlines would've read bus driver looses job instead of scumbag is fired. it sucks and it's sad........

have you considered legal action against the school? if for nothing else than to set a precident??

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

There's no legal action I could take, I don't think. According to the law, they abided by it. I dont know if they were technically required to put him on leave or not, either. But cripes, it's not like it was one person's bad judgement; it was a team!! They were perfectly within their rights to put him on leave immediately.
    The driver was employed by the district and drove kids, but not mine, so being angry is about all I can do. Who knows how the chips could have fallen on a sick day for my kids driver, and one of them end up being driven by him. But that alone doesn't constitute enough of a threat for legal action, and if he's not convicted, it's all for naught.

If he's not convicted, I'll be relieved, but my position will remain the same. If he is convicted, I sure as heck hope they interview every kid on his bus and that those parents are aware, educated, and attentive to thier kids for signs of abuse.

I mentioned that he was arrested on school grounds, also, because that changes it from being exclusively a private issue in his personal life. Even if he weren't, I think taking a job with the school district, with all the background checking and fingerprinting (my wife is in the process of getting a job with the district), you ARE giving up a degree of your privacy for the sake of doing that job. You can always go work somewhere that doesn't require so much responsibility with other people's lives if you're worried about privacy.

5. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

oh, i had assumed he was your kids driver.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, we were thinking about coming down, then stopped thinking about it, and last weekend started thinking about it again... I would love to move down there, I'm just afeared I wouldn't be able to find work and make mortgage payments... I'm sure this could have happened there, too, though, I'm thinking this is 99% the result of really stupid/PC/ACLU-Bed-Sharing people in control of the school. In other words, politics.
    There is a good bit of anger in the community about this, the newspaper article was blaming the district the same way I am. I was kinda surprised to read a sensible slant on news...

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sorry, I see how that seems implied... My mistake, not my kids driver...

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Well, it's good to hear that poor/unqualified schoolboards aren't restricted to my neighborhood. Here, the schoolboard was already getting bad before I graduated, but now, since I've graduated, a superintendent has come into the picture who apparently thinks that when she's got 90%-100% of students' parents yelling at her in opposition to a controversial decision, that means she MUST do it to make them even madder at her because she's got the local newspaper in her back pocket to help ensure she can get re-elected. Never mind too that ever since I graduated too, my high school's band and arts programs have apparently been getting the shaft too from the same schoolboard because they're apparently vehemently anti-art and anti-band.

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

We do not ask for your poor, or your hungry.... We do not want your tired and sick.....

It's time like this that I think, although I know it's very incontrollable and sometimes immoral, that we need to plant armed women in situations. It would never be just, but it would be equalizing.

I have to assume this was violent attack rape and not ambiguous date rape and such

What a weary world....

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

innocent until proven guilty means nothing when children are involved?