Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

common manual tranny?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 30, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What is the common manual tranny to put into 2 wheel drive cars or trucks with around 400+ hp/tq ?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Muncie M21 or M22. M22 will take more but a little bit of work(straight cut gears really the only thing I know) will make an M21 hold up to.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay cool thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Where would one go about to get one of these?

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Building a muscle car now?

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

saginaw cast iron is more common and wont cost you upwards of a grand or more

trucks did not get 4 speed car side loaded trans

three speed yes, but not four speed

i think yo should research and learn the basics of gm manual trannies first, or its gonna cost you and youll be running into troubles with spline counts and so forth

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Steve , go get a "Lenco" :D

[​IMG]

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hell yeah, Lenco is the way too go. Need anouther gear, just add another section.

8. pauly383

I just had to post that , in a street car that would just plain stand out at a drive in , all the rice boys would be like "whoa dude , where did you get that"

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

AH! With the forum change, I guess my reply got deleleted...

Where can I learn more about GM trannies? I don't want to run into trouble, so I better learn first. How many speeds are the muncie trannies? What vehicles did the muncies come in? What vehicles did the saginaw cast iron come in? Any more info is great, I'm just sucking it all in and learning! THanks!!

I'm not building a muscle car or whatever, I could only wish. I am just explanding my knownledge!! haha But yeah, eventually I want a muscle car!

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't mean to sound...stupid... but with those trannies, do you just pull the lever back (towards the rear) to shift that gear, the go to the next lever beside it to go to 2nd gear, then so on...? Or how does it work? I've seen something liek that in a drag car on Horsepower TV. Interesting!!

11. pauly383

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah! That's really neat. Thanks for posting that!

13. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

yeah, the saginaw is gonna be cheaper, but its not gonna hold up to the power. Well, l guess, I should word it different, its like axles, a saginaw being a 10bolt and a muncie being a 60. Yeah, they'll hold up, but for how long? It depends on your driving style. I blew up 4 saginaws, then went to an M21, it started making some noises, pulled it apart and it wasnt worth it to rebuild it. Found a sweet deal on an M22. it ****in rocks. Well it did 4 years ago...the last time I drove it. :frown1: Straight cut gears, stronger, Plus with the M22 you get a crazy gear drive sound. Nothing like the sound of horsepower coming out dual 3" flows mixed with the whining of the tranny in first gear cruising up your street at 2500 rpm. It whines loud in first, second a little quiter and by the time you are in third and forth, you dont hear it at all.
    The shifter I have is inline...so its just straight up and down, no H pattern. The gates basically sit on top of each other rather than side by side.
    Damn I miss my Elco:frown1: Guess I should just put the coils and front bushings back in :blush:

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

16. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

yeah, if I remember right, that is just like the one I had.
    The splines on the M-22 are also fine and more of them. Cant remember the count of the top of my head though. Its been a while since I was into this stuff.....too long, especially since all I need to do is put the coils and suspension back underneath the front:mad1:

M22 is the strongest of the bunch. Also called the 'rockcrusher'

17. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yup, that be it. Bad ass. Thats a fair price also, I'm sure it will get higher. I guy hit me up a while back to buy an M22 in excellent shape, the tranny, shifter, pressure plate clutch, everything for $600. I lost his number and havent seen him since:mad1:

There are other aftermarket trannies too, Doug Nash 5spd which I was considering, but would have had to do some mods to the floor. Then you have the Richmond trannies, Borg Warner, etc.

I have no complaints on the M22. Like I said, the whine sounds sweet. You wont fully understand what I mean until you here it....some people like it, some dont, kind of like the hum of swampers, you either love it or hate it:D

18. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Remember the Vega GT? It came from the factory with a M21 Muncie 4 speed. The regular Vegas had the Saginaw 4 speed. Probably the cheapest GOOD 4 speed you could find in a junkyard would be one of the GT Muncies. I put one in a SWB 70 GMC years ago, and it bolted up to the 350 bellhousing and the driveshaft yoke even matched up.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks for the info.
    What after market trannies are strong? Or are all of them (haha stupid question)
    M22 sounds good. Thanks

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I will keep the GT in mind. Thanks