Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Commuter cars.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Corey 78K5, Jul 27, 2006.

?

What commuter car would you drive

1. Geo/Chevy Metro/ Suzuki Swift

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Toyota

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Honda

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Nissan

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. Hitchhike nekid

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I'm thinking of a cheap commuter car with at least 35 mpg. Give some suggestions. Metros are on top of the list right now. Hard to beat 40+ mpg.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

follow the jek-ster plan mang, stripped down 2 door 5-speed metro. Just buy an $500 one on craigslist, pull the motor yourself and have it rebuilt, replace the clutch and rolllll with it. I bet if you stripped that sucker down and babied the gas you might be able to break 50 mpg. :thumb:

j

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

There's an early 90's model on e-bay for $995 north of LA with less than 100k on the clicker, but it's auto.

4. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

i refuse to buy anything other than good ole chevrolet, you may call me biased if you like but im in chevy paradise mang, and im never gettin out of it :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Toyota is the best brand for a used economy car. Honda is reliable but can be expensive to fix.

Any Toyota Camry, Corolla, et would be a good buy. I think your looking at 35 hwy and 30 in town.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

It's like this Brother. Right now I pay $400 a month to drive back and forth to work. With a Metro it would be more like $125. Do the math! More money for Daddy and the quicker I get a shop built. Not to mention no more putting a bunch of miles on My truck.

7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My dad drives an 80's 300ZX that is a fun little car. V6 w/ a 5 speed in a little two seater. If he isn't spinnin' the tires and beatin the rice rockets he gets pretty good mileage and it's still a fun car.

That's my vote, plus you can pick one up for under $1,000 locally.

-Avery

8. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i voted honda because i dd a civic... its a decent car, only gripe is have with it is the a/c doesnt create icicles on my face like in the duramax but its fine, we have gotten 40 mpg out of it and i always get atleast 30, and it hasnt broken down either, not sure on auto hondas but i like the way the tranny shifts and such, very crisp, got it new in 03 and now we got like 70k on the odometer.

9. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I drive about 35K - 40K/year and have daily driven

Nissan (289K) when I sold it

Toyota (159K) when I sold it

VW (99K) when I totalled it

currently driving a Mazda 3 ('05 with 49K). If I'm easy on the skinny pedal, I can squeak out about 29 mpg.

I'd love to buy American, but IMO they just don't hold up to that kind of high mileage. Good luck!

10. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

just about all our gm cars are pushing 100k and two are over 100k and our buick that we got rid of not too long ago had 260k and our bonneville had 170k..they held up just fine..

now my grandfathers nissan pickup thats another story...he has about 500k on it..we are not sure of the exact number cause his odometer has been replaced about 2-3times and he lost count:eek1:

and im biased to gm a little but i will agree with some people, early to mid 90s yotas and hondas are pretty good on gas and shouldnt give you too much trouble...

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

commuter cars--and trucks!..

I loved my 86 VW diesel Jetta...43-53 mpg,no emission tests,it was comfortable enough to take on long trips,and it went pretty good,it could cruise at 80 mpg with no sweat once you got it there..not as sluggish as you'd think,for a 52 hp engine..plus I could run it on a lot of alternative fuels if desired,like veggie oil..but when you get that kind of mileage,its really not that much burden to spend the money for "real" diesel..I could go 600 miles on one tankfull--14 gallons..:D

My brother had a few Geo Metro's..one was a spaceship looking station wagon with a 4 cylinder,it got 30-40 mpg consistently..drove it to Detroit from central MA on 50 bucks worth of gas..not bad for a 400+ mile trip!--his other one was a sedan with the 3 cylinder motor--it got 40+ mpg no matter what type of driving you did..suprisingly,both were not as "slow" as I suspected they would be--you can keep up with traffic pretty good in them..just a bit scary when an 18 wheeler nearly blows you off the road when they pass,as in ANY small "go kart" econobox..the only thing I hate about them!..

I know a few guys who scored older toyota trucks with the diesel motor...one had to weld up the entire frame because it was rotted badly--but he got it from a boneyard for 75 bucks with the title,because the owner said "nobody will need diesel parts,nobody OWNS one around here!"...he's wrong,there are actually quite a few fans of toyota and nissan diesels here,that would pay good money to get their hands on one in decent condition..I'd snap one up if I found one cheap!..they get 30+ mpg..

The Dodge and Plymoth Neon's get good MPG,35-40 or so--but they seem to blow head gaskets often--my friend fixes a lot of them at his shop..many folks are buying them at auction for 500 bucks needing a head gasket,have it fixed,then either drive it or give it to their kids for cheap transportation..

I just dont see the "advantage" of hybrids!..they seem overpriced,complicated,not very well tested for durability,and what if those 2000 buck batteries crap out??--and how much to dispose of them properly?--they get WORSE mileage on the highway too!..I'd rather have a simple gas or diesel only vehicle,and be done with it..:crazy:

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

A Mazda 3 only gets 29 mpg.............

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I was checking out the VW diesels on e-bay and them things must be made of gold. Way over priced.

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Honda, all the way. I have a 98 Civic that runs like a champ, just turned 100K Around town I get about 32 (stop and go 3 miles to work), other then that, it gets close to 40. Its nice, drives good and is in great shape. I actually miss it now that my Fiancee drives it everyday and I have to drive the Cummins.

15. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

just get a bicycle and hump it....

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Both the Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio will get over 35MPG if you know how to drive, don't use AC, and don't waste time with an auto.

10/100,000 warranty, and just over $200/month payments for the base model.

Cheap cars? Yes. Ugly? IMO yes. Good mileage, and could care less if they get totalled? Yes.

I've got enough other vehicles to work on, I like having something that IF it quits working, I don't hassle with it.

Screw domestics for economy cars, they will probably be owned by a foreign company by the time any new car warranty expires. :)

17. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

yay another brainwashed person...you do know that the 10year warrenty isnt bmper to bumper right?

10 YEAR 100,000 MILES
    POWERTRAIN PROTECTION Covers most engine & transaxle components.[​IMG]
    Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e. selected Engine and Transmission/Transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.
    "most parts" meaning stuff that will probably never go wrong andif something does they can hi tyou with the it wasnt properly maintained bs

18. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

yea a vw diesel would be nice..but they are really expensive..you should look at a toyota paseo...youll look like a dorkdriving it but you can squeeze out like 40 mpg maybe more

19. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Wheres the Suburban in that poll, I drive 30 miles each way...A/C blazing at a whoping 13.9 MPG, really wish I could break that 14 mark :doah:

I figue its a commuter car, it gets better than the k-5 and its nearly double what my 93 C2500 454 sub @ 8 mpg got with a tailwind :haha:

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If you cant post in a thread like this with out turning it into an American car VS. foreign car debate then don't post. If I wanted an American car for a commuter car it would have been on the list, but there is none so catch a goddamn clue.........