Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Comp cams Xtreme 268h

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer74, Aug 7, 2003.

1. blazer74

blazer74 Member Premium Member

Who's using this cam in a 350 small block. How do you like it. How is the low end power, (Idle quality, Does it have enough personality.) Considering this cam to replace my erson tq20. Give me your opinions.
    Thanks, Craig /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

74 K5, 355 sb, performer intake, 76cc stock heads, headers,
    quadrajet, 350 automatic, 4.11 gears, 35 bfg muds

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Seems to me that that's a lot of cam if you want low end torque. I beleive that it's more of a mild street &amp; strip cam. Check out the Extreme 4x4 line that Comp Cams has.</font>

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

If your running pretty hard, the XE 268 is a good cam.
    In my modified 355 car, I went with the XE-262. It works good on street and lots of torque. BUT, if your running this in your heavy blazer, the 4x4 cam is a better choice. The HE-268 is also a good cam for low end torque.

IF your interested in a good custom cam, Harold from "Ultradyne" cams is now working for Lunati/Holly and they are copying his cam designs to market. Harold is well known for his cams in high performance world and made several of the CompCams designs including the HE-268, but he makes them for pretty much anything.

You can get more info from below snip from another site.

&lt;&lt;If anyone wants to order the Ultra Dyne cams profiles Harold has instructed me to take orders. He has also approved of me to offer cams on this "Chevelles.com" site. I can also assist in cam selection for your application. As always I will get Harolds insite at the time of ordering.

TERRY @ FCR PERFORMANCE PARTS UD Harold cams 402-596-1800. &gt;&gt;

4. blazer74

Ok Thanks, Think I will give comp cams a phone call. Now I have a little to go on.

5. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    Think I will give comp cams a phone call

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats the best place to start /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used that cam in a 90 pick up with a TBI 406, and that pulled like a mo fo from idle till I ran out of road. It had gobs of low end torque, I will be getting one for my 89 when I rebuild it.

7. crroy71

crroy71 Registered Member

That is the same cam I bought for my 383 that is in progress. I plugged all types of (including the 4x4 cams) cams into the DD2000, and that one gave me the most low end torque.

With the duration that it has, you should not hear it much, as far as idle is concerned.

8. 88Silverado

In a larger application like a 383 or 406 thats a good choice, in a stock 305 or 350 with no other work done, thats a lot of cam.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run the 268H in my built 406 small block and it is perfect! It makes all kinds of power below 6,000 RPM's, pulls like hell with a trailer, and has gobs of low end torque. The idle is one of my favorite things about this cam; with a low idle it sounds much bigger than it is( with a good exaust system of course)Anyone that knows anything about motors can tell that it's a pumped up motor.

85K5 3/4ton 14boltff,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

I just switched from a performer cam in my 350 (with matching intake and carb,headers etc.) to a Summit house cam part #sum-1101 in my '84 Suburban. The performer had no bottom end but the Summit cam has some balls down low. On the down side it is finished pretty early in the RPM range.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Check out the Extreme 4x4 line that Comp Cams has.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that the biggest Xtreme 4x4 is even bigger than the XE 268.

I had an Xtreme 4x4 but I should have gone with the XE 262. It makes the same bottom end and picks up quite a bit of top end over the smaller X4x4 that I used.

I am probably going to run the Wolverine Blue Racer 284H in my big truck this year.

I addicted to bigger camshafts in the last few years. It just seems that without overdrive and with 4.10 gears, and being the only competition that I do is mud bogging, making more power below 3,000 is worthless.

I think even at 8.5:1 CR with an aluminum intake and headers and duals, the smallest cam I'd even consider using is the XE 262 or a similar cam. To me, power below 2,000 RPM is useless!

Leave those tiny cams to the rock crawlers. The 268 will probably be great for your truck. A set of S/R Torquer heads in 67 cc would wake your truck up a lot more though than a cam. The 268 seems to really like a decent set of heads in DD 2000.

12. blazer74

Thanks to all on your advice, I have to take it all in and make a choice.
    I'll keep you updated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Craig

13. 383Jimmy

383Jimmy Guest

I have a very low mileage Extreme 4x4 cam that I'm willing to sell if you are interested. It's the x4-254. It was too small for my 383. It might even smaller than what you want. This is the cam that Compcams tech line recommended for my truck, so beware if you call them. They are very conservative. I went to the x4-270 and am very happy with it. I even have a Pete Jackson set I took out that needs to go.

14. blazer74

Thanks, but I am leaning towards the xe262 or xe268 and might go with a little higher stall if needed. I know what you mean about compcams tech line they seem to have cold feet when it comes to recomending a cam. I Called twice and got to different people and two different answers.
    What size tires and gears are you running, Stall?. How is your low end with that cam.
    Thanks, Craig