Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Comp cams XTREME 4x4 cams.....some opinions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Dec 20, 2001.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Just ordered my Comp cams Xtreme 4x4 cam and am wanting some experienced opinions about these cams, mine is the 12-235-2...... 210,218 @ .050 anyone running this one and do you like it?? any other suggestions about this cam and or other goodies that compliment the performance of it. THX Mike

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I just got mine ordered the other day. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people and they recommended it as the best for my setup. I am going to be running it in a new GM 350 crate with Edelbrock intake and Dynomax (I think) headers. I am also going with roller tip rockers. I hope you ordered new valve springs, too. This cam has too much lift for the stock springs. You will almost assuredly kiss a piston if you use the stock springs with it. I ordered the "K" kit from Summit for mine. Didn't want to skimp when installing a new crate.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Im running that same cam in my 383 stroker and love it.I think I could have gone a little bigger but for what im doing its perfect.I can just about idle over anything and burn 38's off on the street.Smooth idle and great throttle response.Comp cams recommends using a good timing gear set because alot of stock and stock replacement cams retard cam timing 4 degrees.Youl read all that on your cam card.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm assembling with a step down from yours, (Comp CS X4 250H-11 hydraulic, 206/214 @ 0.050" - 0.288 in/0.302 ex lift @ 1.5 rocker) in my 415. I'll be starting the break in on it in a few weeks once I swap the motor in.
    It's an intermediary step untill I can get the retro roller version...
    (Comp CS X4 270HR-11 hydraulic Roller, 220/224 @ 0.050" - 0.506 lift @ 1.6 rocker).
    I love the bottom end torque these offer when you have a long stroke.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>