Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

comp cams

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FATRAT72, Apr 9, 2002.

1. FATRAT72

FATRAT72 Registered Member

Has anyone heard of any problems with comp cams camshafts? my machinist here in oregon will not guarantee the installation of a comp cams hyd camshaft in my 454bbc,They say they will guarantee any others but they have had a lot of calls for repairs on motors with comp hyd cams like mine,I lost all the bearings had to have the crank turned, block tanked cylinders honed,because of the bypass valve on my oil filter inlet let all the metal go thru the motor from my hi volume oil pumps pressure , when i lost my cam lobe. FATRAT72

I moved this post from the 69-72 page in the hope of a response

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I haven't heard of any problems with comp cams, I have allways had good luck when I used them. I have a crane hydraulic in my 4x4 motor now & like it very well.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Usualy, when a mechanic makes a blind blanket statement like that singling out only one manufacturer and not others, its more business related then mechanical related.

4. Jmask

Jmask Registered Member

I have had good fortune with comp cams as well and agree with it being a business decision. Dump the mechanic and do it yourself! You'll probably get better results.

5. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Most problems from cams occurs due to improper initial breakin. Cams should be coated with the appropriate lube, usually a moly base lubricant and then ran 20-30 minutes at 2000 rpm. All cam manufacturers will tell you their cams are only as good as the installation and breakin. I, myself, switched to a Comp Cams Hi-Energy 268H in my 462 BBC after my buddies had such good luck with theirs. One even swapped his BRAND NEW 350 to one of my other friends for his 70,000 mile 454. The later guy wanted mileage and the former just wanted raw power. Afterwards, the 350 guy got 1 mpg more than he did originally and the 454 guy, after installing the Comp Cams 268H, lost 1 mpg over his 350! Hard to believe but true...and yes the guy who gave up the 454 was pi$$ed! All these bbc's have put on well over 150,000 miles and had no cam/lifter problems. The new engine in my current K20 has a Comp Cam. Guess that states my reasons and feelings about Comp Cams, eh?

6. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

Anyone tried the 4X4 Extreme cams comp has available? I'm fixing to put one in my 427 I think!

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Comp Cams has gone down in quality in the past few years. I have heard of more problems than thre should be. The metal they seem to be using is soft and I knew 2 guys that had the bumpstick turn into a roundstick on them.

I would go Crane...

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've got the 4x4 Extreme cam in my 415 and I love it! I've always had good luck with Comp, but I've had good luck with just about any cam I've purchased. Installation, breakin and proper engine maintenance should make just about any cam last a good long time.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My personal prefreance has always been COMP CAMS. I won't use anything but.

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have found what zakk has said to be true. I have seen some problems lately. In fact I rebuilt a ford 351 that had a Comp Cam break in less then 500 miles. Everything else looked good and no wear or oddities in the cam, but it didn't take long for the metal to trash the lower end,

Comp has a crap load of cam grind though. I used to use them quite a bit as an economy cam, but over the past 8 months or so I have been using Cranes. Crower is still my personal favorite though.

11. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I know a guy that works at Comp Cams here in Memphis and I had forwarded this thread to him. He told me that he mentioned this to the warrenty people and they requested to see the thread. Comp has seen this thread.

12. FATRAT72

FATRAT72 Registered Member

It was a extreme 4x4 cam that bit the big one part #11-235-3 comp did send me a brand new cam and lifter set as a replacement .when i first installed their cam kit everything was brand new and i followed the instructions to the letter as far as install and breaking it in . I even had help from my buddy who is a circle track racer .