Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Comparing H.D Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CAT 245ME, Mar 8, 2007.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME Registered Member

Hi, I am looking for some information as too which suspension company offers the best H.D leaf springs for my 86 K15 Sierra, the truck presently has a Superlift 2.5" susp lift (softride) and they probebly wont handle the 860 pound Boss V snowplow that I plan to put on it. So I need a set of good HD springs for the truck but am not sure which to go with, I would like a 3" lift at the most and am planing on sticking a dana 60 under the front end.

Any help will be great.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you do know vplows dont like lifts . as the aframe needs to be as close to flat as possible. or in full scoop or v position the center or ends will not be on the ground.

make sure your plow kit will lower down that far and or you can fab good strong mounts to hold up to a v plow.

a std stright blade can work with lift much easyer. i have a 8ft fisher on my 4" lift 1ton with 35" tires. i just checked it in all 3 mount holes on the aframe and its good in middle or upper mount. i didnt need to drop the truck mount at all. so i can still play with the truck easy.

i hope you dont plan to run this as a play truck also unless you remove the mount when you want to play.

we have a fisher v plow on a 97 ford f350 at work and when its up there is not much room under the plow to the ground in v position. i my self am 50/50 on v plows. i have lpoed for years with stright blabe and a bit with shop v plow truck. its got good and bad points. but if i had to choose for what i like to do and need to plow at times. it would be my stright blade.

might want to look in to somthing like this setup. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000267946/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10353435/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000026794610353435

3. CAT 245ME

This truck is being built for pushing & pulling, so it wont be an off road rig, just a workhorse.

I would like the truck to sit up like an F-250 or 2500 Ram, I have never liked the stance on a stock chevy, always found they sat too low and more like a car.

The truck presently has a 2.5" lift up front & 2" blocks out back that sits it up wear I would like it to be but dont want to go any higher and I feel the springs wont be strong enough, I have been considering Tuff Country 3" HD springs but havent decided.

When I was looking at a plow for the truck, I had talked to my local Boss dealer and told them the truck had a suspension lift and they told me that they can adjust the mount to work with what I have and strenght'n it.
    Origionaly I was looking at either an 8' Fisher or 8' Boss tripp edge, but have been interested in the Boss V.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The preferred spring companies tend to be BDS & TC. I prefer BDS but TC is an ok spring too. I personally would call the companies and see what they would recommend for your application. The 3" TC HD probably wouldn't be to bad but it will probably still sag some after the plow has been on the truck for awhile.

I personally have TC 4" HD's and they have sagged some with the offroad use & my 200lbs winch & bumper combo. I think BDS are a little softer & nicer then my TC's but for your application they may not be the best. I think BDS will make you a spring to fit your needs though if you want.

Harley

5. CAT 245ME

6. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

7. sweetk30

possible idea is a body lift.

8. CAT 245ME

I would pass on a body lift, never could see any sense in body lifting a truck with a stock suspension unless it was alot of money to do a susp lift like on an IFS vehicle.

Looking at the spring rate table, I am thinking of trying the springs that are already on the truck and then go from there, my truck has the front quad shock option and then add timberiens, might turn out alright, we'll see.

Sweet K30 what suspension lift are you running on your K30? I want to put a 4" lift on my 85 K10 with 35's, the truck has a conventional Fisher strait blade, would like the 85 truck to be a trail truck as well.

9. sweetk30

its a ? lift kit. i got it from a friend off a parts truck he got. it has 6 leafs in the packs. it actulay rieds good and only drops 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch when i hook up and lift the 725;bs fisher 8ft hd comercial plow up.

i can get pics if you want.

10. CAT 245ME

Hey if you have pics, it would be nice to see.

Do you have any of the truck pushing snow?

11. sweetk30

no pushin snow. but i can hook up blade and show springs at no plow and then plow up off ground for shrink of springs when 725 lbs is added.

give me a day or so. its dark now and bussy tomarrow with work. so sunday yes.

12. CAT 245ME

Thanks , but take your time.