Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

comparison between detroit and lockrite for 14ff?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Dec 29, 2001.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

and yes lockrite does make a locker for a 14ff, i did not believe it until i made a few calls today, but, is it as strong as the detroit?

2. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

anyone???

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I have one in my 44 that works well, can't really comment on a 14B but think about this, they both use the stock carrier, and the install is the same for both, why worry about it, throw in a detroit and never worry about your rear again. I love my detroit.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

4. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

OK I believe we have some kind of misunderstanding here.First Ive never heard of a lockrite for a 14 bolt ff,but that doesnt mean that there isnt one.Second a detroit for a 14 bolt ff only changes the spider and side gears as the carrier is plenty stout so in essence if there was a lockrite for a 14 bolt it would be the same as a detroit for a 14 bolt.I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere here!Good luck!

5. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Detriot, time tested and true. I have heard that the lockright can be a little sloppy in terms of engagement, and in not disengadging when you want it to and such. The majority of the people on the board run detriots and you will rarely here here of problems.
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

6. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

like i said, i haven't heard of it untill today, the lockrite part #is 1955. and yes, i also think the design of the two must be close ( as detroit and lockrite use a lot of the same designs on their lunch-box lockers) but i also heard from a totally unbiased source that the lockrite has quite-a-bit LESS slop than a detroit, but nobody can argue the strenght/reliability of a detroit.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would go with a Detroit over the Lock-Right unless it is to replace a Gov-Lock (because there is no Detroit made for that application).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, there are TWO Lock Rights available for the 14FF axle.

One is the "four-pin" spider for the open dif.
    The other is the "three-pin" spider for the Gov-Lok dif.

Detroit Lockers are only available for the "four-pin" spider difs. These are by far, the strongest lockers for the 14FF, hands down. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I know a few people that have managed to break Lockrites. I don't know anyone that has broken a Detroit Locker. That would make the decision easy for me. [​IMG]

One of the Lockrites that broke was in a bone stock CJ7. 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires and a carb'd 258 six banger. Not exactly an abusive environment! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

and he was running a 14ff axle?

formerly 77chev

11. chevysrule

chevysrule Registered Member

Jegs carries the lockrite. for something like 249$ quite a bit cheaper but who knows about reliability?

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I tried out the Lock Right, but it was in a 10 bolt rear. [​IMG]

Its still holding up today in that truck I put it in. [​IMG] And yes, the kid who bought it does play with the truck a bit.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

13. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

We are not comparing apples to apples here. The lockrites that goes into Model 20 rearend and 12 bolts replace the spider gears and the spider gears drive one pinion shaft. So all your torque is transfered thru two loading points just like a u-joint. The Detroit uses a 4 pinion carrier which transfers the load over 4 shafts. So you have twice the strenght. I bet that the Lockrite for the 14 bolt uses a 4 pinion carrier just like that of the 14 Bolt. When I buy a Locker for my 14 bolt I will get a Lockrite to see how it works. I just installed a Detroit in my buddies blazer with a 14 bolt. So we will see what will last longer my or his. The are both big block powered.

Donovan
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com>www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com</a>
    Got Leafs??