Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

compcams 4x4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Nov 17, 2000.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    What do you gies know about these cams. Obviously they are tuned for more low end performance, but I just want the hear your opinions. Thanks.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I decided to swap cams in my 81 Jimmy I went with the comp cams 260 HE. Can't remember the P/N. I have a 350 with an Edelbrock 600 electric choke, Flo-tech headers etc. The truck has the SM 465 4 speed and 3.73's with 35" tires. The gains torque wise were excellent. I tow a heavy trailer with this truck (5200 lbs) and with the 4 speed I rely on low end torque. It pulls real hard from 1200 RPM's to about 4000 RPM where it starts to run out of steam. With some better heads it would prolly make 5500, but I don't need those kind of R's. I called Comp cams and described my truck and what I realistically need it to do and the tech was very knowledgable and I think he recommended the right cam for me. I've been very happy with the results.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I have the non 4x4, regular Extreme Energy cam in my Blazer with .447/.454 of lift. Edelbrock induction, Vortec heads, dual exhaust, etc. and I'm very pleased with the performance. Good torque and top end.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad