Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Compensating For Innacurate Tire Size Lable ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Resurrection_Joe, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

38x13x16 TSL's (non-radial)
    Overall tire height - are you ready? 36"
    6.5" wheel width (think that's what he said)
    No other measurements, maybe he can help ya.
    Brand new tires.

<hr></blockquote>

I just read this a bit ago. I am now confused. I wanted to go with 36x13x16 TSL Bias, and thought they would measure a full 36. Now I am wondering, if the 38 measures 36, will the 36 measure 34? I dont want to end up with 34's! So anyoine have the 36x13x16 and know what they measure on the truck in real life?

And anyone with the 38x13x16, is this true? 36 ? Should I just go ahead and get the 38's and hope for the best?

Well anyway thanks for any opinions. You are all blessed by RJ for all your help, whatever that means to you.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Swampers run pretty close to the advertised size. My 36x 12.5x16.5's were right at 36" tall. In my personal experience they are the only tire that runs true to the advertised size. But Im sure others do, just not that Ive seen.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Joe, I measured that 36" myself..............twice to confirm it. Might be due in part to the narrow wheel he's running, but I have never seen a tire that matched it's advertised height. In his case, 2" seems like a lot to me.

4. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

in 4wheel and off road they tried the 37's ("the 37" tire experience or somthin), and they ended up measuring 35

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How's this one for you, I have 315/75/16 BFG muds. That size tire is supposed to measure out at 34.6/12.4/16 but I measured it and it is exactly 35" tall, go figure. It is mounted on a 16x8 wheel. I have not bothered to measure the width of it yet but maybe I should. I have a race car that has Mickey Thompson tires on it and they measure smaller than posted size so i called M/T about them and was told that the posted size is the largest that the tire will grow when exposed to running temperature and added heat from burnouts. Maybe that will shed a little light on the subject.