Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Competion for ORD's Doubler?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Competion for ORD\'s Doubler?

I'm just curious what you think of the doubler thing advertised in this thread on Pirate.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146813

I read a bit about it, and it just seems to me there has got to be something wrong with it. How do they get away with the price? I realize that this could be a touchy subject, and I'mnot tryin to start any sh!t or anything, I'm just curious about all this. Whatever the case may be, When it comes time, I'll be callin you for my Doubler. Times tested and proven. Besides, you're a pretty damn cool guy in person. lol /end ass kissing /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: Competion for ORD\'s Doubler?

I've shopped around a little and here are the big things we like to point out that we have, and not everyone else does:

-Hardened shaft. Our shafts are cut from new stock, and hardened after they're splined so they don't have problems with spline or bearing wear. And being cut from new, we don't have to worry about finding stock shafts, verifying condition, checking for the ever present step on the clutchring teeth, etc. We have one customer that built his own adapter and ran a 27 spline soft shaft in a big heavy truck and actually broke it (in Pritchett) but he said the if it hadn't been torqued in two, the splines were just about wiped off anyway. Every shaft we've sold has been hardened because of that type of problem. And although it's not a huge deal, there's a small percentage of strength gain by not having the oiling hole in the center of the shaft.

-Strength. We only sell 31 and 32 spline shafts. We've had a couple of broken Doubler shafts and NP205 input gears in the smaller sizes and now that's not an option. Yes it's a pain to convert your 205 to a 32 spline input but it won't break. That's all there is to it.

-Length. Our overall adapter thickness is about as short as it gets and the GEN2 design adapter eliminates the factory adapter so there's less space taken up under the truck and there's one less expensive factory part to buy and break.

-No blind bolts in the adapter. All our our fasteners are accessible from the outside. Bolts loosen up, especially on vehicles with major vibrating components like meaty tires, bent/beat/high angle driveshafts, etc. If you can't see the fasteners it can be a problem. We had a customer actually pull his entire 205 out over EJS this year because of some shifting problems and it turns out the bolts at the front face of the 205 had loosened up. He didn't do a very good job diagnosing the problem but it could have been solved very simply on the side of the trail - without pulling the t-cases as a 240 lb. unit.
    We've also gone to through bolts where possible and we send nylock nuts so it has less possibility of loosening up. The front face of the 205 gets studs to help keep everything tight and to make it easier to install.

-Full complement of bearings. This gives best life for all the components. Also the way the bearings are mounted gives us the best control over the bearings location and this controls the shaft as positively as possible.

-Bombproof adapter. All of our adapters have been in the "overkill" strength catagory and the billet alum. adapters are no exception. We have absolutely no doubts about the strength of our housing. It's a one piece design with beefy ribs everywhere, cut from a solid block of 6061T6. Mounting options are almost unlimited since the adapter can be drilled and tapped just about anywhere for mounting bolts or to attach mounting brackets. With a welded steel adapter you can weld to it but it's possible you'll warp the plate when you weld to it.

-And speaking of alignment, our adapters are all machined to more than adequate tolerances and being cut from billet, there's not possibility of warpage of any kind. Our older steel adapters were actually a 3 step process: machine the individual parts for a precise fit, weld together, machine again for final alignment since the welding always warped the adapter.

-Variety. Want to mount a Ford 203 to a GM 205? How about a Dodge 203 to a Ford 205? Want that 205 rotated up? These are all standard adapters that we cut on a regular basis. All the bugs are worked out and we often have the kits in stock.

-Details. We ship all the gaskets and seals you need, along with the breather fitting (which screws into the adapter so you don't have to drill and tap holes yourself), a PTO cover with the oil fill plug, and the above mentioned bolts and studs.

-Details. Want a bolt on shifter kit? How about a 3 stick shifter? Need an input gear for the 203? Need a complete 203? Need a complete 205? How about 205 parts? NO PROBLEM.

-Have questions about putting your combination together? Search here, search POR, or better yet, just call, that's what we do.

-And last but probaby least: bling. No matter what, you gotta admit, that's a cool looking adapter.

There it is, all the chest thumping I can do. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

You can breath again now! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have never been anything but impressed by the quality of products and service from ORD! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Stephen

That is quite a book isn't it. I've had some long winded posts but that's one of the longest.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Well damn.....lol. Thanks for the novel...err reply Stephen. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Anyways, I was just curious what ya thought about the "other guy". Good stuff to know. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I saw that a while back.I thought it looked a little light.I would hate to be on the Rubicon or on one of the Hammers and have that thing come apart.

No worries with the ORD unit.I cant say that I have ever heard of any quality or durability problems with the "real" Doubler either. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You git what ya pay for /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Damm! Tarzan (chest thumping) with my hunt and peck typing style it would have taken a week to write all that. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Well put. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Stephen,
    How much $ did you give KidJethro to start this post?
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    David

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

my hats off to ya man.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. supergper

supergper Registered Member

I will say this, the ORD doubler is a work of ART...and IMO a killer price...I asked my bro-in-law if he could make me an adapter (showing him pics and such) and he siad he could no prob but the machine time would be almost what ORD was charging...so I got mine form them instead...

Stephen and I went our rounds and at first I wasn;t happy at all with them(even though I was the one being stupid/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif), but after my first phone call to him AFTER I had received my doubler I was more than happy...even though I was rude to him in previous conversations, he still treated me with respect and totally answered my question. I would not hesitate to reccomend them to anyone.

If you are questioning, then take a good look at the two products, ORDs is much higher quality and like Stephen said total bling. Even compare to the WMS doubler and I still think the ORD doubler looks more thought out and better execution.

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Shameless pimping:

The ORD kit is the bomb. a numbskull such as myself was able to build it (with help rebuilding the cases) and bolt it all up. The shifters, cases, etc. all worked on the first try. there was no guess work, no suprises.

It has increased my enjoyment of 'wheeling tenfold. No long do i have to load up my tranny and burn it out prematurely. Complete and total control, except when it get's to to places i never thought i could and the rig wants to roll.

Bottom line: THE best thing you can do to make your full size crawl.

Story: It was back in late march that i got all my doubler gear together. Dr. Watson was doing his thing getting ready for EJS, which was less than 48 hrs. away. I called the shop at 8 PM PST hoping someone was there, and the Good Doctor picked up. Stayed on the phone with me for well over an hour helping me get my junk going. That wasn't just customer service, that was a guy helping out a buddy.

ORD. Love it, Live it, Buy it.

12. Stephen

[ QUOTE ]
    Stephen,
    How much $ did you give KidJethro to start this post?
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    David

[/ QUOTE ]

A sticker and some ice cream is really all it took! He's easy /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That's strange, stickers and ice cream worked for Zakk too. Maybe I'm onto something here...

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Mint Chip! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif