Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Complete 12 Bolt for $400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tom E, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

I'm thinking this is a good deal, but wanted to get some of your opinions. A friend is trying to sell me a complete 12 bolt with chromoly shafts, disk brakes, mini spool, and homemade truss for $400. He broke the teeth off his gear this weekend so they will need to be replaced and he broke the yoke...but he's already replaced it. Does all that for $400 sound like a descent deal? I think he's also going to throw in the drive shaft because he's upgrading to a 14 bolt and said he couldn't use his current driveshaft.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I know a stock axle isn't worth more than a 100 to 150 complete . Mini spool new can be had under 100 if you look , I got one for 50.00 . Shafts are 107 each at ORD , so half that for a wheeled on used axle . Discs can be cheap or expensive don't know what they are worth .

Personally I wouldn't go more than 300.00 for it complete , considering you have to buy gears and an install kit .

BTW , expect some buy a 14bff posts :wink1:

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:p:

If you're itching to spend $400 on a rear, shoot an e-mail to Brian at muddobber40@yahoo.com.

$400some got me a 14bff with 4.56 gears and a Detroit. Oh yeah, the axle had less than 20,000 miles on it.

4. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

i would say your friend is sticking it to you... I am getting my 14 bolt for 200 no miles on rebuild, and disk brakes..

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah sounds high to me. I would be ecstatic if I got $500 sellig my 12bolt complete and it has all the same stuff except a Detroit instead of the spool.

I'm not against 12bolts at all, but like already said I have a buddy that got a 14b FF with Detroit for $500.

6. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I know he was going to throw in a dana 44 flat top knuckle also. And the Chromoly had only been installed before this trip. But from what y'all are telling me I should talk him down. I guess I need to look around for a complete 14bff for $200 then and a d44 flat top knuckle :D . I don't ever seem to find those good deals. :confused:

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Hey Tom........ I still need to get down to a meet and greet one day soon... After Christmas I will have a strong motor and 33" TSL's....... so you can expect to see me there some time next year....

Get a 14FF and spool the rear......... although you sacrifice tons of ground clearance, you will NEVER have to worry about it breaking, even in stock form... I'm sure you can find one around here cheap, I know of a few places, I'll ask around if I get a chance.. ;)

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the ff14b is a way better axle. Is the guy selling it "cheap" compared to what the chromos etc cost him? yes. Is it sane to buy it at $400 when you can get a detroited ff14b for the same money? heck no.

j

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What size tire are you going to run on it? That seems a little high to me. Is he going to have the gears replaced for that price?

10. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

No, the gears aren't included for that price. I'd have to put new gears in it.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

12. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

holy expensive batman. i got a dana 60 rear all set up to go w/ detriot.. 456 gears, dynatrac axles all that good for 400bucks..

13. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Alright guys. Definitely going to pass since I got this kind of response. I guess if it had the gears then it MIGHT be a good deal. Oh well, I need to save my money for christmas anyways...my wife's wanting a new kitchen table :doah:

14. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Yeah man. Come on out with us when you get a chance. We're always happy to have new riders. As long as your not a mall crawler...we already have enough of those that associate with us :shame: . We just went to River rock this weekend. I got several carnage pics I need to post up.

15. 78Suburban

Lol, I would like to see what would happen if I took the burb out to Peachtree mall or the movie theaters. I would probably get alot of dirty looks and get arrested..... I'm defititely not one of the "jacked up" Z-71 crowd with the all powerful DUAL EXHAUST and blinging rims and trucknuts... I do know plenty of people like that though.... lol... The only think that really concerns me is lack of ground clearance with only 33's, and I also wonder if the trails yall ride will be too narrow for my burb :crazy: ........ we'll see.... I'll make it out there at least by feburary....
    James
    PS: I passed a red Havoc heep today on manchester expressway, wonder who that was :confused: ?

16. 78Suburban

Tom, what gears are you looking for? I may run by an awsome junkyard dedicated to trucks out near where I live in a few days... I'll look and see if there is a cheap 14ff........ ;)

17. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

I want to put in 4.88's, but I have to use the thick gears with my current setup. I think 4.88's and chromoly's is all I need right now. If I did that then I don't think my poor motor has enough torque to break anything, and I wouldn't loose any ground clearance.