Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

complete awesomeness (Matco)

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by MTChevy, Oct 25, 2006.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok so im attending classes at wyotech and ive been getting ahold of the different tool companys to see what they offer for discounts... i get ahold of matco and they say up to 52% and give us your mailing addy and we will send out a catalog and price list...

so ups gives me a box from matco, i thought- a box for a catalog? so i open it up, there is a catalog, price list, letter saying hey we like you but not really,, and

a set of 10 Matco combination wrenches free!!!! how cool is that????

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

so how can i give them my mailing addy?:D

3. MTChevy

attend wyotech haha

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I <3 Matco.

5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

you paid for the wrenches through wyotech? lol.... the vocational school i went to told us, if we took the next level class and paid some exorbatent (sp) amount, we got a free set of tools at the end, YA RIGHT... nice score though..

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

CHECK WITH WYOTECH FIRST!!!

When I went to Wyotech a buddy of mine went to buy over 10k worth of Mac tools. They required an instructor to sign off on the form to confirm he was a student. Wyotech had a rule in place at that point that a teacher couldn't do that unless it was Snap On... He had already placed his order so one of the administrators signed off for him.

The 50% off Snap-On thing is BULL. If you look at the price sheet they hand out at school, you do the math and literally I think maybe 3 items on there are 50% off(cause you can only buy the **** they list in their price sheet). You are limited to how much stuff you can buy, and the choices of boxes flat out sucks. At least this was the case at Wyotech in Blairsville.

Check into things and cut through the propaganda first. See the tail end of the Snap-On thread too. I purchased a few thousand worth of Craftsman tools from the Professional catalog. Guys looked at me funny when they saw how much Craftsman stuff I have, but I paid less than a cheap starter set from Snap-On, and I have **** that they don't. I'd have paid probably 3 times what I did if I went with Matco, Mac, or Snap-On. I work on, "if it breaks, I replace it with a more quality one". So far all I've had to replace was my 1/4" ratchet.... Air Tools and Impact Sockets are your friends!

7. MTChevy

Your wyotech must be completly different, i got signed off no problem, and we get to choose through the whooole snap-on catalog.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They just didn't like you.... :wink1:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh I had no money to buy tools at the time anyway ha. Besides I still wouldn't recommend buying a ton of the top tools right away. just my thought. Think of how many people don't keep up the career for a long time. One kid at work(I call him a kid cause he seems SO young but he is the same age as me), owes the Snap On guy $3000. They are coming to repo his tools. He was trying to sell off stuff today. He was showing us all he has. I just kept saying, "I don't see anything worth $3000, wtf?" He just said "it adds up quick". To which I pulled out my most expensive tools... totaling about $1000...

and I'm off subject-ish.... again.

11. ryoken

Seen alot of apprentices go overboard... I can't imagine making it on their checks, I make over double what they're making and it gets rough for me here and there, mostly "here" lately... :(

You know me, I'm a big hawk for high-end tools, but even I own cheaper stuff for occasional jobs... But there are alot of tools that just don't hold a candle with cheaper stuff... There isn't a cheap prybar made that'll last 2 jobs for me... You just can't f*ck up that 36" Snappy prybar spring steel...

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My favorite pry bar is the torsion bar one of the guys ground to a point, haha. Works AWESOME for prying down lower control arms to reinstall knuckles on them.

I hear you on the "here" portion. We are pretty much, DEAD. Sub 20 hour weeks this and the last. The season is winding down for you huh?

13. ryoken

Well, actually it really just got nuts.. LOTS of OT, now till X-mas day.. It's funny, the last few years everbodies been pushing off their haulouts... Trying to use em longer, etc....

Got about 200 to haul, winterize, shrink, etc the next 2 months...

My woes are just some past bills catching up to me, my daughter has cost me a fair amount the last year or so, yada, yada, yada...

you'd like the handmade set of drifts a bud turned for me from hex stock... Actually my biggest "prybar" is a 6' cinch bar that I use to jockie engines around for alignments....

14. Confedneck79K30

check out the new mayhew 58" dominator capped end softgrip prybar, one bad sombish for LCA work

15. ryoken

:confused:

i'm always looking for new weapons for shifting around BB's... :wink1:

16. Confedneck79K30

sorry, i was a front end, suspension, brake, and electrical tech when i was in the biz.. lol

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds like my job description

18. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

My favorite pry bar is a long tie rod from the front of a K5.

19. Confedneck79K30

i never needed anything more than a 36" prybar for ANYTHING, ive seen guys use ground torsion bars, everything i needed to do, from lower subframe shifts with an 18" ladyfoot to coilsprings in a mustang with a 36" bar and a floorjack..

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

prybar? one word TOVE

it more for wood, but is the best all round bar, maximum power for every thing