Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Complete Bed Replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stickman75k5, Aug 8, 2002.

1. stickman75k5

stickman75k5 Registered Member

Apr 16, 2002
    Has anyone looked into replacing their entire bed and sidewalls with a complete new bed from a shortbed truck. I can get a new (foreign made) shortbed for about $800. I thought it might be possible to cut the excess off at the front end of the bed and make a similar cut on my Blazer. I could then unbolt and remove the entire rear section and drop the new one in and weld just behind current door posts. This would solve the rusted tailgate and bed problems and enable me to use a regular truck tailgate once I get the soft-top for it. Granted there are minor concerns about rear seat mounting and gas filler locations, but these should be able to be overcome. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
  2. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Oct 29, 2000
    been done many times, get a rear floor straight from gm for around $375. and your set. if your quarters are shot im sure you could replace them as well with aftermarket and have less trouble than choppin up for a short bed box. do a search many have outlined it in detail.