Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Complete Dodge Cummins and running gear for $8250

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Aug 27, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a 91 or 92 Dodge 3/4 ton for sale for $8250. How tuff would it be to swap all that under my 87 K5? It's a Cummins with a 5 speed. My rig's an auto.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

DO IT!!!! 12 Valve cummins engines kick hardcore A$$!!! You could do it with a little fabricating, and some shoehorning, but you would have one badass blazer!! IF I had the money, I might consider doing this to mine, better yet, I would just buy a dodge, I love those trucks!! 12 valves can be BOMBED pretty easy, and you would have a torque MONSTER on your hands...keep me updated, I am interested in this idea!!

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 33x9.50r15 BFGs Muds</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.77k5.alloffroad.com>www.77k5.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Hm. Sounds like a neat idea, but some things to consider which would make me shy away from it:
    1.) cost: that's a lot for those parts, and then you have to do lots of modifications to get it into the truck
    2.) weight: that cummins motor is heavy - we're talking (if memory serves) some 500# heavier than a big block (someone correct me if I'm wrong) - means heavier springs to start with...
    3.) length: it's a long engine, I dunno if it will physically fit between the rad and the firewall, more serious mod's to deal with
    4.) torque: do you really think a 1/2-ton frame that is known for being relatively weak is up to the challenge of that much torque...a 1-ton frame conversion a'la White Knight may have to take place...see #1
    5.) compatibility: between gauges Dodge vs. GM, diesel fuel tank, going to hydro-boost brakes - might be easier if your K5 started as a diesel, but who knows by how much?

Too much work for me. And I have done (and am doing) some pretty nutty stuff.

--Rob

4. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Karl,
    Do it ONLY if your heart is set on it, because there will be WAY TOO much fabrication involved to get to all work. I'm doing a 454 swap and you can't belive the "little" snags I've encountered.
    Now if you really wanted to do it, because of the drivetrain, you could find the same truck (with a little luck and patience) from an insurance salvage auction for half the amount. I think ideally I'd like to find a wrecked 3500 HD someday for the drivetrain. To me that would be worth it.

If it doesn't sit on a frame, then it isn't a truck.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Keep it as a tow rig. My father-in-law has one, but it's a automatic and has some hop ups done to it. Anything that can be hooked up to a large tree and put into 4wd on pavement and bring the tree down without breaking anything is something special.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

How much work would it be to put the Blazer body on the dodge frame? If it's possible that is.

Just modify the body mounts as apposed to modifying engine, tranny, and axle mounts.

Just an idea, I have no idea how possible it is.

Good things come in small packages. Good things come to those who wait. So, if you're waiting for a small package, that must *really* be sweet.

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

There was a guy that recently put a '71 Sub on a Dodge frame. Go to www.turbodieselregister.com and go to the forums, there's one just for conversions.

IMO 8 grand is way too much to pay for a parts truck. Maybe if it was a newer one (say '96-98.5) w/the better motor and trans.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd