Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

COMPLETE removal of dash

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by uao85, Sep 21, 2004.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Hi, I am planning my next project on my 1991 fullsize blazer and had a few questions. As of right now my truck is running off of 2 computers(incredibly confusing), and 2 harnesses that are spliced together all because of my engine swap(6.0/4l80e, previously 350tbi/700r4) And in the planning process right now I am wondering if there is any way to completely remove the metal dash support underneath the dash pad? When I was in there doing the wiring, I couldnt figure it out and had to work around it(biggest pita ever) and decided I dont want to have to do that again. Is this possible? or would I have to cut it out? I have tried repeatedly to try and find bolts that I missed along the way but no luck and it still wouldnt budge. Ideas???

Remington

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

yes it is possible...if you look hard around the edge of the metal part, its spot welded to the cab.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

There are two bolts one on each side. that loosen the sheet metal but then as stated above it is spot welded to the rest of the body. Cutting isn't all bad. If you plan it out right you can leave a lip to attach a removable dash too.

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Back to the drawing boards

Remington

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any pictures with a dash fully removed?

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I used to but appears I dumped them all. Do a search over on pirate. There's a guy on there that removed the whole thing and then built his own tube support for a new dash and used aluminum to close it in and mount gauges.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I suck at searching on Pirate4x4... cant find sheet about this.

Anyone feel like giving me a hand in finding it?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I had it saved on my computer, here is the link that I think Kert is talking about: pirate

9. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I made mine removable.

There are the two bolts on each side and a support rod in the middle by the ash tray. Like stated above, there are spot welds every inch (give or take) along the bottom of the window.

You will need to remove the window to do this.

I took a sharp screwdriver, used it as a chisel, and used a hammer to cut all the spot welds as carefully as I could. The sheet metal was pretty wavey afterwards but I was able to straighten it up.

I used sheet metal screws to secure it back to the firewall so now it is easy to take out if I need to. Also, the window seal totally covers the area with the spot welds so you can't even tell I ever cut them. My dash looks like it was untouched /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I do have some pics somewhere, if I find them, I'll post them.

Good Luck