Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Complete Steering Column Re-build?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 27, 2001.

Hello all!
    My steering column is wacked! I have about 2-3 inches of play in it up and down, right to left there is about 2 inches. It's like the tilt went out or something. It's really freaking me out, I am sure this is not normal. How should I go about fixing this thing? Is there something to tighten, or should I just sink the money into a complete replacement/re-build

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/column.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/column.html</a>

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

2. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

I got a non-tilt column from the junkyard for $50 and permenantly fixed the problem.

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need a new bearing kit, and the standard tightening procedure - a few hours, alot of cussing, and about 20 bucks and you'll be good to go[​IMG]

Pics here:pugsley.alloffroad.com

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

thanks pugs I couldn't figure out how to post yours... But I tried....

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure I ever actually posted it - normally I just copy and paste it from MS Works[​IMG]

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Then where did ya get it, I could'nt find pics on Dorians site, and you have pics... Cool info none the less...

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Ladies and Gentleman... I present... The Grim reaper award [​IMG] LOL... long and of course as most of grim's posts are... very informative. Good job Pugs! You should send in some of those to Steve. *Drama voice* You could have your name in lights on the WWW... you could be a star [​IMG] LOL.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is also a company that will come to where the truck is parked and fix it for $50 bucks. I have had them do a couple of my trucks. They advertise in the parts section of the AZ Republic on the weekends. That's if you don't have the time.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

9. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Mine was doing what yours is doing... And even got so bad as when i would turn the wheel... the truck would shift gears!! Anyway... Mine was not rebuildable. There was something damaged that can't be replaced.. Don't remember exactly what. I ordered a completely rebuilt one, which came looking like brand new. I got it from Empiresteering.com The guy that runs the business is a very nice man. He has a tech board on his site also, he will answer any questions you could need.

Sara

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You forgot "stop using the wheel to pull yourself into the truck and you wouldn't have this problem" in the writeup" : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

11. Blazer83

Blazer83 Registered Member

It was quite ironic, I was just complaining to a buddy of mine about this very problem and actually contemplating putting this out here on how to fix it when I looked down and found this post. Talk about timing..... Thanks Guys................

12. shooter

shooter Registered Member

I am going to use what you wrote and the pictures, thanks for writing this. Is it a matter of just tightening or can I expect to replace some parts??? Thanks again.

13. Thanks Pugs! I printed that out (after a cut and paste of my own) and will try to do the job this weekend. Although I have given serious consideration to just replacing all of it!! From the steering wheel down to the box and pump, why not right? Then I will know that that part of my truck is sound.
    Now, if I could just morgage Park Place and a Railroad I should have enough money...hehe

Thanks again!!

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

14. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

sounds like this is a common problem, mine is loose too.
    anything that worth replacing while in there? or is it just a basic tightening that most k5s need.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

15. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

When I open them up, I like to cruise to the dealer and pick up a replacement upper bearing kit (around $18), and an ignition rack/pinion kit (around $15) - it became a habit after that damned rack broke on me 2 days after tightening the column up on my Granddad's K5[​IMG] Past that, it's just tightening and lube[​IMG]

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>