Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Completed: CFM Tech Upgrade....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Jan 15, 2005.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well I just got finished with my installation of some goodies from cfm-tech. I installed the tbi power plate, injector space, power charger, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and guage.

Everything came with instructions and the instructions were pretty straight forward and easy to follow. I did run into some problems however. I had a couple fuel leaks at first, but some double checking and re-tightening helpd solve that. I had to re-mount the dist. coil because the in line fuel pressure guage was in the way. It was also very hard to get the guage to be in the right place. As it is now, its upside down but thats the only way it will go so I guess its fine. The only major problem I have with the kit is with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator. You are supposed to be able to turn the thumb screw while the regulator is still on the truck. This however is definitely impossible. Due to the screw being under the tbi and touching a hard metal vacuum line fitting, I am forced to tkae the 8 torx screws out of the top of the injector pods, and then completley remove the top of the injector pods and the regulator to adjust it. Its not really that hard to do, it just takes some time, and its a pain in the ass to have to do that every time I need to make and adjustment. I recommend that cfm-tech change the design on this to make it a little more accessible. I also had to re-adjust the tv cable to get the transmission shifting properly again.

Now, these few problems are significantly outweighed by the power gain. I notice much more throttle response and power throughout the entire rpm range. All of the spacers and whatnot provide a "sucking" type of noise, that pssss's when it changes gears (almost sounds like a supercharger). Before when in a grassy field, if I floored it, it would burn out but not for very long before the 37's grabbed and sent me on my way. Now, it will pretty much sit indefinitely clawing large trenches in the ground. I am very pleased with the power gain.

Due to just being finished, I have not yet been able to determine how much more mpg I will get. Im hoping 3-4 mpg, but my foot will be in it a lot more now so who knows. The install would have only taken abuot 4.5 hours, but ended up taking more like 6-7 with all of the dificulties. But, the power was worth it.
    -Harrison

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I doubt any MPG gain, especially if you are in it more.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

tho a pain in the arse, i can adjust my regulator in place. suprising cuz i've got fat fingers. :haha:

i just tweaked my fuel line to get the coil back in the stock space..

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I barely had to tweak to get my fuel lines in where they were meant to be. I got rid of the clamp that holds them to the bellhousing though. I have a 1" open spacer, the CFM Tech one is 1/2" right?

5. ryoken

1", iirc... i ditched the clamp too... :thumb:

once i get my headers on i'm gonna jump up the pressure. right now i'm running about 12 1/2 lbs..

i do need to replace both cables tho. my tv works fine, but found a burn thru the jacket.. and my throttle is kinda worn where it clips in the bracket and sits kinda turned. works, but could be better... maybe a Lokar might be better..

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I need to adjust my throttle bracket(bend it more angled) my throttle is a little sticky off idle. You can mash it just fine though, believe me :D I need an adjustable regulator. My motor likes to break up a little at highway speed and backfire when I clutch and shift. If I don't speed shift it will be pop throught he exhaust.

7. ryoken

the one thing i was dissapointed with is that the adjustable regulator doesn't come with a new diaphram.. was a little annoyed at that.. reused my old one, which had definitely seen better days... when i go bigger injectors, i'll put a fresh one in..

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Glad to see you are happy with the stuff. I figgured you would be impressed with the nice gain in HP and torque. I dont think you will see 4 MPG expect around 2 mpg highway gain. Thats what I got with all the CFM/Turbocity stuff I put in. City wont improve much unless you drive around like you have an egg between your foot and the gas pedal.. You will want to use that extra power you have:D

I have the same FP regulator I can adjust it with my fingers. Its hard to get your fingers in there But I can do it. also it is easier to turn the screw when the engine is off and the lines are not pressureized.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

With the modifications I put on, cfm-tech recommends 14 - 14.5 psi of rpessure. Im at bout 13.8 now so im gonnna bump it up a little more tomorrow. Plus I am adding some high performance wires too. Ill tell yall what that does....
    -Harrison