Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Completed my York OBA system - pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I completed my York OBA install tonight, thought I'd share some pictures of the bracket that I made and of the completed intallation. This is a pretty all-inclusive setup, it starts with the York, goes to a combination check valve/unloader, oil coelescing filter, another regular filter, then into the manifold where it slpits to front and rear outputs, an incab gauge, under hood gauge, the pressure switch, a 150PSI safety valve, the ARB supply line with a regulator then the solenoid, and a 7 gallon air tank mounted under the bed. The best thing of all - I made the ARB go PSST tonight for the first time. A lovely sound indeed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Some pics (yes I know that the truck is filthy, I failed to wash it before putting it in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) There's alot more pics here. -

Mounting bracket for the York, this is before I painted it black since the detail is easier to see. It's slotted so the belt tension can be adjusted, you can see the two holes with nuts welded to them, there are bolts in these that are tightened in order to increase belt tension. It bolts to the 3 tapped holes on the driver's side head. -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main components -
    [​IMG]

You can see the in-cab gauge and ARB switch on the lower left of the dash.
    [​IMG]

The tank and the line to the rear outlet.
    [​IMG]

</font>

2. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

Man, that looks pimp. Your gonna have to show me how to do that! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif One question though- can you duplicate that setup using a electric motor to drive the pump? Also, how much did it cost? IF you dont mind me asking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Looks Great

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

are you just using the slots to tention the belt? also where did you get you filters and such?

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Beautiful work! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now I need to decide on what to do for air since I ordered the ARB today.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

That's a really nice set up Shaggy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm wanting to do an OBA set up on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Do you have a list of the parts you used? It would be very helpful for anyone else that is thinking about doing this aswell, if you didn't mind that is. I've seen the drawing on the Kilby site and want to compare it too someone that has actually installed it on their truck.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Freakin' beautiful!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Yet another thing added to my extensive list of ToDo...

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

wow, that is so pretty i wouldn't use it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, minen works, but doesn't look that good!

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> IronMan - a York is pretty hard to spin, you need a pretty darn big electric motor to spin it, the main problem I see would be finding somewhere to mount it. Cost... I don't even want to think about that one right now, but it's over $400. Possibly way over, I haven't added it all up yet. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

LKJR - the slots are there to guid the compressor, but the two holes that are sideways have nuts welded to them, those bolts are used to push the commpressor out, tensioning the belt. Once the required tension is reached then the bolts that go through the slots to the bottom of the compressor are tightened, locking it in place.

Eric - I'll work on a parts list, I have one already, including a schematic, but it was from a preliminary design so I need to update it.

Thanks to everybody for the kind words. I only wish the rest of my truck was as pretty as the OBA. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif</font>

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Where did you get the manifold? Can you give me a part number, cost and where you purchased it?

I am installing the OBA while doing the Swap-o-rama! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The manifold is from McMaster-Carr, part number 5469k173. That's an 8 port with 6 1/4" NPT ports and 2 3/8" NPT ports in the ends. It's available in other configurations too.

I just finished a list of all the parts I used, almost everything is from McMaster and Grainger. The list includes prices and all part numbers. Many many hours went into researching this and it should work in any vehicle with some minor adjustments, specifically you will need to get the proper fittings to adapt your tank to the lines and plug any leftover holes in it, and the length of some of the stainless braided line will need to be adjusted to fit Blazers. I did this in a pickup so some of the lines are a bit longer than what you will need. If you want the parts list just let me know and I'll send it along, you'll need Excel to open it.

Total price for the project including all the parts, the compressor, tank, and Kilby adaptors for the compressor, was $450.82 plus some shipping from McMaster and Grainger. Not cheap, but it's a pretty nice system. I'll try to get a schematic up a bit later on.</font>

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Very nice!

12. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

if your excel file includes prices shoot it my way would ya. lkjr31@cox.net

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It does include prices, and it has been sent. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

14. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You should post it on the net somewhere for http download. If you can't, or don't know how, ship it off to me (see my profile) and I'll host it for you on my site...

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> This should be it, give it a try and let me know if it works... OBA list

Here's the instructions for reading it - There are two sheets on the Excel document. The first one is the list, the second one is basically a text schematic. If you start at the top of the list and go down you're basically following the path that air would take through the system. When you get to the manifold it splits into 8 ports plus 2 end ports, so the list splits into 10 columns. I hope that's easy to understand. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font>

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yep it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Couldn't get the link to work but I do have excel could you send it to me here muschweckb@comcast.net also that bracket is exactly what I was looking at making do you have demensions and such that I could make one I have been searching the net for 3 days and have had no luck on clear pics on brackets so I can make one. By the way great looking set up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Ryan

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Link is dead now...what happened?

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I had the dimensions for the bracket all mapped out but my HD crashed in my primary machine. I'm trying to recover them but it's not looking good. I think I have pictures of the main pieces of the bracket, that might help a little bit...

Don't know what happened to the link, Yahoo Breifcase sucks. Try this one, it's the main directory that it's in - http://y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/sanders02@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/Public%20Folder&amp;.done=http% /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font>