Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Completely Frustrated

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattyblazer, Jan 11, 2003.

1. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Well I love my blazer, but after all the money and time I got into her, she drifts, rattles, and the battery started going dead again if she sits for more than 10 or so days. I have replaced everything and cant seem to get it the way I want it. I feel like I dropped the ball or missed something, I just wish there was a way to figure what I missed. When I drive on the highway it drifts from side to side slightly, and dog-walks.
    any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

have you checked glovebox or hood light ? commonly a problem they are

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dog tracking is an illusion created by the different widths of the front and rear axles.

The wandering could be caused by many things. Check all the steering box bolts, drag link ends, tie rod ends and ball joints. Any wear in any of those components and it'll wander to some extent. I would recomend a bolt on steering brace and fresh parts if anything looks worn.

Remember too that it will never handle like a car or an IFS truck...solid front axle with leaf springs isn't the hot ticket for road manners and handling.

Rene

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The dog-leg tracking could also be a sheared spring pin - a pretty common problem. </font color>

5. mattyblazer

Thanks, the truck when going forward leans slightly toward the drivers side front, "It Always Looks Like Its About To Make A Left Turn". I hadnt thought about a the glove box thats a good posibility.

Thanks again Guys
    [​IMG]

6. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

Well, I've experienced all of these problems discussed in my 84 K5. As far as the "roaming" on the road I found that my shims were worn which caused my tires to "cup" and wear unevenly. Once I fixed these problems I found a remarkable difference in on road handling. As far as batteries dying, I have had 3 issues with that. 1) Dual batteries were connected improperly....2) An existing speaker wire touching sheet metal (or any bad ground for that matter, ie. arching)...3) Alternator wasn't charging battery to full power which resulted in fast drain, also, underhood lights, ashtray lights, and trailer brake lights that are not functioning properly can cause similar issues. As for the appearance of turning to the left while driving I have the same issue. I originally thought it may be a bent frame or badly cambered wheel but found that it was actually a result of body twisting from offroad use. None of this probably helps but if it does, more power to you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

how are your front springs? and sway bar bushings?

8. mattyblazer

I got the Energy bushings and have not had time to put em in yet(sway bar kit) but the originals look decent, and I think I might have the springs rechecked.
    Thanks

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I had a similar wandering problem at highway speeds. It was very subtle but I was constantly having to correct left and right to keep straight. Ball joints almost cured the problem, but when I replaced my draglink ends the problem disappeared.

Maybe it's time to install some new draglink ends, brother!!! And keep your chin up, man- any vehicle you choose to drive will have issues/problems. You may as well drive something you love..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

3 Cheers on that....definately drive what you love. I don't care if you have a honda civic, a school bus, or a hummer, you're going to have some issues regardless. It's just a matter of working out the bugs.....but don't get to frustrated. The problems you experience are problems that a lot of blazer owners experience.

11. mattyblazer

Thanks for the reminder, every time I say fork it! I look out the front window and see her waiting for me, and I forget about getting rid of her.
    -Matt

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ball joints, Tierod ends, check spring bushings and u-bolts. A Steering brace also does wonders. CK5 members (orange) get discounts at that site.