Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

COMPLETION! My first real garage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Finally after many long years, my garage is done. I think I've been trying to get this sucker built since about a year after I got my k5 in 2000. Its not as nice or as big as some of your garages, but hey, I am in NYC :haha:

Specs: 25'w,23'd,17ft tall, no wood construction. Cinderblock interior wall, brick exterior wall. Insulated flat roof. 2 10ft wide by 8 feet tall steel roller doors (remote control). Wired for 220. Regular plugs every 10 feet or so. Solid Concrete base pad (3ft thick). Driveway is 16ft long by 25ft wide.

I took a lot of advice from you guys when designing this garge. Like, the 8 feet tall opening. And the 220 volts. And the multitude of plugs. Not to mention the height of the garage, since I've seen way too many pictures of you all rolling your trucks in on steel wheels...

I also learned something else that was important over the years- GREASY SPOTS. how I hate seeing greasy spots in the garage and driveway. So before I get to any wrenching.... I've started to epoxycoat the whole garge floor, including the driveway. I got the stuff from my friend who's in construction, and does the parking lots for Target, etc. THis stuff is more like a rubber coating than epoxy. It doesnt dry "hard" and slippery, its acutally non slip!

I will take some pictures later today or tomorrow...

2. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

Sounds nice....WHERE ARE THE PICS!?

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Sweet deal!

I would KILL for a real garage. I was stupid and settled for a house with only a garage-sized shed and kick myself every hour of every day.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Congrats!

Good for you Pookster!...You will enjoy being able to work out of the weather and at night!-- suffered many years outdoors with NO type of shelter!...even one of those "tent" garages,or a carport would have been 10 times better than nothing!...I worked at my friends house with only an aluminum carport roof,closed in with cheap tarps and bungy cords for a long time!--I found even without heat,as long as your out of the wind,its much more bearable than working outdoors in cold weather...

Now that I have a garage,I'm getting too lazy in my old age to use it as much as I planned to!..and I filled it with so much junk,I can hardly squeeze 1 vehicle in it! :doah: ...makes sense huh?--build a big garage,and leave 2 out of 3 vehicles outside to rust,so you can store junk you might never use!.. :doah: :screwy: --I still have yet to wire the garage properly..been using heavy duty extention cords from the house garage 30ft away for over 13 years! :blush: ...have to finish that one of theese days... :crazy:

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Thats why you buy a shop/garage with a house in front of it :D :D

Glad to hear you got some man space. We'lll wait for pics