Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Complicated 14bff wheel bearing question, need help fast...please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, May 18, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

After driving around for a few weeks one of my drums developed some play. I took it apart and noticed the race for the outer bearings had moved inward. It was just about against the inner snap ring inside the hub.

The problem is that none of the tech books seem to cover the installation of the bearing races. My buddy said to seat it as far as it will go. Thats is what I did the first time but somehow the race managed to move about 1/4-1/2 inch inward.

So how should that outer race be installed exactly??? I am afraid it will just move inward again and cause more problems.

Memorial day is fast approaching and I want to get this fixed tomorrow. Please help!

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

YOU NEED TTO PUT THE RACE IN AS FAR AS IT WILL GO.
    IF THE SET UP IS LOOSE THEN I HAVE SEEN SOME PEOPLE TAKE A PUNCH AND MAKE SOME POT MARKS WHERE THE BRG. WILL SEAT. THIS WILL KEEP THE RACE FROM MOVING.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that helps. Always great to get additional info from people. I will give that a try. Luckily the 14bff is easy to work on.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

It's ok for the outer race to seat against the snap ring. Infact when you go to remove the bearing you need to tap it with a punch to move it away from the snap ring. That's what the tech that turned my drums for me said. This is different than the full floaters I normally work on for my big rig.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

So the problem is if it moves against the snap ring after installation then the hub is loose and out of adjustment. How do you set it up right the first time so that it doesnt get screwed up down the road.

Also, when I tried to reinstall it with the race against the snap ring, it wouldn't tighten up all the way, there was still play in the hub.

There is a way to do this right, and thats what I need to figure out. This should last years without anything more done to it.

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

the race is supposed to go against the snapring, thats why its there. the bearings should be adjusted just like the front, find the figures in a book or on the board, i don't have my book handy, but you torque teh nut down the a value to seat the bearings, then back off , then torque down to the preload spec. But again, the race is supposed to seat against the snapring

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

That makes sense now that I think about it. The problem is the basic tech books don't tell you anything on race installation. I have the torque figures in my book though for the bearings.