Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Complte write up w/pictures on how to set timing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Anyone have a link to anything like this? It isn't for me, it's for a friend that needs/wants to know how it'sd done......I've been searchin with Google for the past 20 minutes and it's getting old. Just want a good description with pictures of timing mark and tab......ect ect......Does this exsist anywhere? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

PIECE OF CAKE! First of all, I'll assume you have a light. Connect that gun to your number one plug wire (front plug on driver's die). Now go back and loosen the bolt on the hold down clamp at the base of the distributor, should take a 9/16" wrench. Before you begin, check for the timing tab. 70's models will have the timing tab off to the driver's side on the timing chain cover. 80's model will have it straight and you'll have to look past the water pump. Fuel injection models are in the same spot as the 70's. Make sure that tab is clean and easy to read. On your damper, look for a groove cut in it, thats your other mark. Put some chalk, or marker, or something to make it show up.

Start the thing up in the shade and point the gun at the timing tab. Its a strobe light, so it makes the mark on the damper to appear to stand still. If you want to make the mark go to the left, turn the distributor counter clockwise. To make the mark go to the right, turn the distributor clockwise. Get it on the money, tighten the distributor down, and check again. Done!

3. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

one more suggestion to make, you get what you pay for when you get a timing light...
    i bought the cheapo pep boys 20 dollar light, and i was able to get it to run ok...
    then i had a friend tune it with his digital timing light, had the tach and digital advance on it, and my engine ran so much smoother, i could actually feel the power difference...
    so i went out and got one, certainly makes getting the timing set easier and much more accurate, i think i spent about 100 on mine, and i wish i'd never bought the cheapo one....
    then again my mechanic uses a cheap one and can do it almost entirely by ear...
    i just dont have near the experience he has

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I approciate your time spent typing, thanks. But, like i said, it's not for me, I can set my timing pretty much in my sleep. Tryin to help out a friend. She needs somethin with pictures. Like an online description or how to maybe.....Does anyone know of something like this online somewhere?

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the tab is on the timing chain cover? I've never found mine...seems they would put it somewhere better since the water pump is between the cover and the balancer...

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Yup, your '90 has the tab on the passenger side at around 2 o'clock. Might have been knocked off though. I think the Mr. Gasket chrome cheapy tab will bolt right up and be accurate. Kinda wierd because the mark was 10 degrees before the keyway, then 2 degrees, and back again to 10. Make your mind GM, /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif. The ones in the 12 o'clock position aren't really that hard to read, just have to stick your head further over.