Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Compression or exhaust stroke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

i need to re-adjust the valves on my heads, its an 89 350 tbi with pro top line heads, my problem is i cant figure out how to tell the difference between TDC of the compression stroke and TDC of the exhaust stroke, this is stumpin me so please gimme what you got, thanks gentleman

2. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Stick your finger in the spark plug hole, you'll feel the compression on the right stroke.

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Or you can watch the valve as you crank the engine to TDC. The valves will line up with thier coresponding exhast or intake port. After the intake starts to close, the next TDC of that hole will be the compression stroke.

Or you can stick your finger in the hole and feel the compression! Just make sure you're at TDC for that hole before adjusting. Timing tape on the balancer and knowing what cylinders are TDC at what degrees help.

Eric M.