Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Compression Ratio?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwinnd, Jan 18, 2002.

1. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

I'm wondering what kind of compression ratio and subsequent hp increase I can expect when I get my heads machined next week. FYI, my drivers side head gasket blew last September and I made the mistake of not checking for warpage. [​IMG] Well it went again about 3 weeks ago. [​IMG] I'm hoping it's not cracked but we'll see. It's a stock 350 with an rv cam and an edelbrock manifold.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

are you having them milled? if so it depends on how much you mill them. you may have to chage you pushrod length if you mill too much...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5
    World's Ugliest Lawn Ornament
    [​IMG] CK5's Moab 2002 or Bust!! [​IMG]

3. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

The general rule of thumb is HP increases about 4% per point of compression. I.e. if you have 200 hp now with 8:1 you'll have about 208 hp with 9:1.

4. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Yes they will be milled and thanks for the info I hadn't thought about the push rod length, just learning as I go.....I had kind of figured it wouldn't be that noticable but one can always hope.
    D-

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW