Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Compressor coming on

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rebel88, Sep 11, 2000.

1. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

When I start my 88 and let it idle the A/C compressor keeps clicking on and off. The heater/A/C controls are all of and the fan is off. I played with it one day and ended up pulling the fuse out of the fuse box for Heater/A/C. Then when I started it up it stopped happening. Is there a short in my switches or a bad connection or what? If anyone has had this problem or knows what to do please let me know.

Thanx

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I am not an expert on A/C, but it does sound like there may be a short in the switch or lever. There is a clutch cycling switch, however it should not have power if the switch is off. - Steve :)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hey sosaman,

where is the cycling switch? right now i am riding around with no fuse in the fuse block so i have no vents/no nothing. i appreciate anything you can tell me.

Thanx

Eddie

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

There is a connector on the front of the compressor that supplies voltage to the clutch, remove the connector and replace the fuse, it should not cycle on you now.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

There is a switch that is activated when the heater controll lever is put in the Defrost posistion .This switch cycles the A/C compressor on and off even when heating. It designed to do this to keep the compressor lubed up and cycle the refrigerant in the winter.
    This switch should turn off when the heating controll lever is moved to heat or vent position. Your problem is most likely in this switch. It is either stuck closed or your heater contolss are messed up. Gotta pull out the heater controlls to fix it.