Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

compressor opinions wanted...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyfumes, Apr 19, 2004.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thinking of getting this Campbell Hausfeld Anybody have anything to say about it , good or bad??? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Looks good for the price, I think Home Depot has a very similar one for the same price as well.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That should get it done! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Home Depot has a similar compressor that has their Husky logo on it, but I can't recall the price offhand.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Git 'er done!

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Does anyone actually have anything to say about Cambell Hausfeld... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifgit er dun... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Look that one up in the Lowes newsletter of whatever that thing is, I think that same one at my local Lowes came with a bunch of tools, impact wrench, hose etc.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just checked and no such luck at my lowes... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifAnybody else have anything to say about Cambell Hausfeld, speak up... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I do have a little elec. one for small stuff around the house, trailer tires, sports balls etc., have had it for years and never failed me. I know that's not much help but......

9. JSH

JSH Registered Member

My dad has had that compressor for several years-no problems and seems to do a pretty good job. It is about the smallest compressor I would consider for doing any serious volume air work-sand blasting, painting, etc. It works fine for impact wrenchs, drilling, and the like. Campbell Hausfeld seems to put out decent products at a reasonable price.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thanks the next one up from this one is 150 bucks more with a scfm of{I think } 13.5 at 90 PSI and this one is 10.3 at 90, and I really can't afford anything more....Thanks for the input... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Personally, I bought a Sears one. I'm sure Sears doesn't make it, and it may well be a C/H. But, I like their return policies. Anything Craftsman I have ever bought that crapped out, they swapped for a new one no questions asked. Including some major stuff that I boogered up.

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Rob, I've got a Cambell Hausfeld compressor, the one size under the one you just posted. I've had it for close to 8 yrs now and I've never had a problem with it to this day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I think their great for their price.

I have a speedAire 25 gallon with the Oil system just like that one. In fact, they are virtually identical, minus a few differences in casting design.

Definately get the oiled system. It lasts longer, is like 10x quieter, and is less stress on your electrical system. keep in mind, this one is a 240V.

I doubt you have to worry about the CFM issue- with that much reserve, the only time you really use it up is during extended painting, extended drilling, extended just about anything. If you ever find it to be the case, dont worry- Just piggy back another tank on- it will have double reserves.

I say go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    keep in mind, this one is a 240V.

[/ QUOTE ] I already have a nice little corner w/ 220 plug waiting for a room to be built around a compressor...

Thanks guys... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

That's what I have. Except I got it form Home Depot and they painted it red and wrote Huskey on it. But it's the exact same compressor.... I like mine. So far has ran everything fine I have used on it.

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you get any compressor at all, make sure it is an oiled design. You don't want one of those shaft driven, oilless, miracles of plastic. For running air tools, I would buy at least a 30 gallon tank. I have a 26 gallon Husky that is barely sufficient and I have a homemade 60 gallon that is good for everything but high CFM continuous usage. I think that you will be happier if you spend a little more now instead of wishing later that you had.

17. JSH

JSH Registered Member

I believe Devilbiss makes the Craftsman compressors. I agree with getting the oil design. I have a Craftsman oilfree 110 compressor and am not at all impressed with it. 6.4 cfm at 90psi just doesn't get it done alot of the time and the thing is so loud that I can hardly hear myself think. And to think that for only about $120 more I could have had one like the Campbell Hausfeld you are looking at. I firmly believe that an air compressor is one of those items where "bigger is better". Get the biggest highest cfm one you can afford and I doubt you will be sorry. When you need alot of air, you need it right now and I doubt you will ever say "Gee, I wish I had bought a smaller air compressor." The problem with just a bigger tank is that it may buy you a little more time, but will also take longer to fill up the tank.

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I went and looked at them today and the one for 400 says running a DA sander will work part time and the next one up(for 580) will handle all sanders full time..., I'm gonna wait and go to Portland compressor in Oregon and see what they got...Or wait for the bigger Hausfeld to go on sale... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifI just can't get away with spending that much, the wife would sh!t, but she wants to [darn] spend 380 on stooped [darn] kitchen knives... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

[ QUOTE ]
    she wants to [darn] spend 380 on stooped [darn] kitchen knives...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't have a cheap blade snapping off in your back now can we? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Dang, didn't she just drop a few grand on a damn vacuum cleaner? I guess I can't say much. I used to sell CutCo knives and people like your wife supported me....I still can't believe people bought that crap! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif